Completely clueless

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Qbonez, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

I am very new to boating. As in I've never even been on one. I received a free boat and started digging in to it. The floor was rotten so I removed the plywood and the glassing underneath (I'm assuming from factory) is complete rubbish. So I believe the stringers are pretty much toast as well. I have been searching many threads and everyone uses words i don't really understand.
    So I guess I'm looking for an idiots guide type explanation as to what I need to do to get it water ready. I have no idea the brand of boat. Only response I received was "definitely pre HIN boat". For sure the transom has unhealthy cracks on the bottom where it curves to the hull bottom. Sorry if this is all too much but would appreciate help.

2. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

20180702_183244.jpg from top of image the 2nd and 4th stringers have about a 2" square cutout for water drainage that was not glassed

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

You didn't receive a free boat. Someone got you to haul off their trash for free. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

What you have is the same boat as in your other thread "Help Identify".

What do you want to do with it?

It would make a good beer cooler at a party.

Or, a planter, but no veggies.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

It is a bit difficult to tell, but this boat looks like it has a core. In the picture center upper right there appears to be an area where the inside laminate has been cut away.

Core boats such as this are really not repairable.

Core is usually wood.

In Ascii, think

-------
    Wood
    -------

Where the lines are fiberglass and resin and the wood in the middle is rotten. Generally, this is below the WL or all the way in the main hull.

Easiest way to tell is to tap with a screwdriver and see if it sounds rattly or hollow or if the inside glass layer moves. See, if the wood rots, the only way to fix is to stabilize the hull, remove the entire inside laminate and core where rotten and replace with glass and resin. All that before or in conjunction with transom repair.

The other problem is economics. If you have a free boat, how much money will you spend to make it worth free. Or say you fix it; how much is it worth? Oftentimes, the cost of the repair makes poor economic sense.

Unless I am wrong about the core rot or extent of it or economics, take off the motor and haul it to the dump.

6. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

The dump!
    A little harsh, no?

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I qualified my answer with a caveat, how did you respond?

Answer the OP how you see fit; not me.

If he comes back and says no core rot or no core, etc., my response changes.

A core and stringer and transom repair and new sole in a boat worth $500 when done? That is harsh indeed.

8. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

No matter the condition of the stringers the plan remains to repair and replace what needs to be done. I'm not good at saving money so if I'm going to waste it on something I'd rather it be productive rather than wasteful. If it takes me years to complete that is fine. Eventually there will be something gained.

My hopes is at least some of the stringers are still solid enough. Maybe the outer ones. When I tackle the project what type of fiberglass cloth would I need to be searching for. The glass in it appears to be maybe 1/8 inch thick and that seems extremely light.

9. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

You will be better off salvaging all the hardware and building a new copy of the hull with fresh wood and glass. You are going to anyway. This will just save you the bother of demolishing the old one a few times before getting to that point. Use the old transom so you can officially call it the same boat.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You need to resolve if there is a core or not and if so, its status.

If the core is rotten; fixing stringers is useless.

11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

369FE186-B6F1-43AD-A20E-A3489E6AA2AA.jpeg Is this area cut through an inner laminate and exposing a rotten core?

If so, then the entire inner laminate wherever rotted core is present needs to be removed.

Often, this is the entire boat.

It is too hard to tell from the pictures. I don't see the telltale 2" dark squares, so I could be wrong.

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Here is a guy at hour ?100 removing some core.

The core turns to powder in some places and stays firm in some, so tough job.

Let me know if I am wrong.

13. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

No that is just wood and part of the battery laying there. From what I remember the fiberglass looks to be in decent shape. I have it parked at my girlfriends house and can take new pic since I vacuumed 99% of the crap out of it

14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

If you don't have rotten core; the repairs are not nearly as bad.

15. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

Is there a specific type of fiberglass cloth I should use for stringers? Would like 3 layers of chopped be enough strength? Would like to get things ordered so I'm ready when I get to that point.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.