MOLDING 1/4" alluminum plate to struts

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by plowanchor, Jan 9, 2006.

1. plowanchor

plowanchor New Member

Does any one have some tried and true back pocket tricks to bring the belly up to the keel for tack welding

2. Revisionist

Revisionist New Member

I'm not really sure I understand the question here. Do you mean that you currently have the skin tacked to the caprail area and want to pull the metal around the hull to meet up with the keel, itself? If so, depending on thickness of metal, experience with welding and heating, and tools available my answer will vary according to the size of the job at hand. A fourteen foot skiff will have a different answer than a thirty foot displacement hull.

I await further information before I can try to be of assistance. Thanks.

3. Revisionist

Revisionist New Member

none

Oops... For some reason your quarter inch material topic didn't register. Two questions... How rounded is the curve you're trying to shape? And is the vessel upside down or vice versa? It's a real pain in the butt pushing this thickness into the hull without previous shaping. It would be easier to do it in strips of two to four feet using jacks and a stiffback if you don't have access to an industrial rolling machine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.