Waste not...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hardcoreducknut, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

Last night I applied a think "sticky coat" and laid my kevlar down. Rolled it smooth and tight with a laminating roller, looks gorgeous. Weave is almost perfectly straight the whole way down.

I went out this morning, it's perfect. I trimmed the excess from the edge and now have a good amount of remnants left over. I don't need to tell you guys how expensive this stuff is...

I was thinking that I might sit down in front of the TV with a bucket and cut it into really short or even fine strands. The weave of course would unravel easily. I could then use this as an additive to my fillets. I know you can't sand the stuff, but that's typically not something I have to worry about with fillets due to the tape.

Would it be worth the effort?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Kevlar is nasty stuff. It rejects epoxy and wicks water. Throw it away or give it to an enemy as a gift

1 person likes this.
  3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

It likely won't work very well. I've tried it with fiberglass. It just balls up in the bucket when you add epoxy and makes a huge sticky mess.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can cut up the fibers, so you can use them as reinforcement, but it's unlikely you can get them small enough to be especially useful. The largest useful size would be an 1/8", maybe as long as 3/16", but that's about it. Any bigger and the fibers are more of a nuisance in a thickened resin mix.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.