Commercialy Made Stich and Glue

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ElGringo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Are there boats made using the stich and glue, plywood/fiberglass method?
    I'm thinking 20 to 28' power catamarans with two motors, sort of like Mr. Woods Skoota. Mass produced. Maybe even as a componant type boat. Hulls, deck, ect. as seperate items. While I'm wishing, the deck made in 4' wide sections in 8, 10, or 12' lengths. Chose your length of hulls, grab the width deck you want and bolt it together. Of course I would want the deck sections to have a standard bolt pattern where they would work in any position, allow several deck styles such as a fence like a pontoon boat, wheelhouse, or cabin. You know, just back up to the dock throw the parts off the trailer and 20 minutes later have it bolted together. Wouldn't want a lot of complicated design. The parts would need to be built by minimum wage employees to keep the cost down. You know, a real Walmart boat for large families on a tight budget.

2. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

ElGringo, if you do not find what you need, I can design / calculate what you want, tailor made, according to your ideas.

4. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Using the wish list above do you think it is possible? If you do, we need to talk.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not see very clear bolted construction, there may be problems sealing between the parts to be joined but everything can be studied. There are solutions for almost everything.
    Some sketches and additional explanations would be helpful. To maintain confidentiality, if you want, send the information to my email.

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Thank you for using my boats as an illustration

Unfortunately I don't think the modular hull idea will work. Few boats are as parallel sided as ships (which do use that technique). So you'd end up with lots of steps in the hull length. You certainly won't be able to join it all together in 20 minutes.

And making mating bulkheads like that won't be quick and cheap either. Nor indeed will stitch and glue hulls that need sanding and painting. Even skilled, experienced workers will take time to do that

That's why they invented chopper guns, grp, moulds etc. That's the fastest way to build lots of boats (4 releases is typically the break even point)

It is important to keep all boats light, even "cheap" ones. That's because to get the performance you want you'll need to fit a bigger, more expensive, engine on a heavy boat. So what you save on the hull you lose on the engine.

Remember my Skoota designs are modular, so within reason, you could fit your own cabin to my hulls.

Sound to me you want a pontoon boat?? So what do you want to do with the boat once its built? Always the most important question to answer fully before doing any design.

Sorry to dampen your ideas.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

7. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I did not make myself clear, You would have 2 or 3 lengths of hulls say a 20 24', and a 28' you choose the ones you want. Then you chose the deck/beams which come in sizes of 4' X 8', 4' X 10', and 4' X 12' You bolt those down and you have what looks like a pontoon boat but with bigger, better hulls. At this point you would choose what options you want such as fence rail and console, wheelhouse, or a cabin. Take the parts bolt them on and you have the length and width that you want and the cabin or whatever on the deck. It seems like they could be made for less than the prices they are getting for the large pontoon boats.
    If you developed the templates for the plywood skins, and bulkheads, after a few you would have the shape figured out where there would be a lot less fill and fair. Some of the price could be made up because you would not need a pair of 300 HP motors to go 20 MPH and you would save a lot of gas.
    It just seems like everything else in the world is modular, why not boats?

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The idea, as I understand it, is not far-fetched. It may have its pros and cons, but for that are technical and creative people. Why not try to develop ?. No doubt problems will arise but I am sure none will be new or insurmountable. Another thing is that in the end, prove something practical and cheaply. A priori there is no reason to reject the idea. But that is, I guess, this thread for everyone to express their opinion.

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

This is wide of the mark on purpose but the modular connections apparently proven & reliable in application...... http://www.shugart-mfg.com/pinningsystem.htm

Jeff

10. rustybarge

11. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

It is too late in my life to take on a project like this. I have already sold my business and have been mostly retired for the last 10 years. I don't see any real problems in the basic idea and it does allow every owner to use their ideas of how it should be. I think that is a big selling point. You get it your way.

12. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Another point in favor of this type design is, after you had it and your needs changed, you could make it larger or smaller by changing out componants. No need to buy a whole new boat.

13. rustybarge

My cheetah 25' Cat has five sealed bulkhead sections in each hull; so if you made each compartment into detachable self contained sections the boat hull could easily be made into bolt together sections by just doubling up each bulkhead; The extra weight would be minimal. Symmetrical sections of the hull could easily be stretched in length by inserting new selfcontained sections into place.

The wheelhouse and passenger pods could be detachable as in the Ctruk video, sliding on runners imbedded into the deck.

....sounds feasible!

14. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Rusty, I don't think I would ever need to break it down that small but, others may need to. It would be a good thing if you suddenly wanted it longer. I think traveling the canal locks on some of our rivers have length requirements. (they must be over some length) Is there a website with pictures of a Cheetah 25' Cat? I looked but came up with several pictures that can't be the same boat.
    Let's name our componant catamaran project the "ComponaCat" I think most of the guys who make their living designing boats will laugh but, you never know who might come up with a great idea during our design.

15. rustybarge

The deck beams could be held on 'a la Wharram style' with ropes, a proven concept that has survived ocean crossings...........allowing the two hulls, the bridge deck, the wheelhouse and the passenger pod to be totally detachable.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's my cheetah hull moulding.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.