Commercial troller-material selection

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by skypoke, Jan 8, 2015.

1. skypoke

skypoke Junior Member

This concerns the material selection for a displacement style PacNW style troller, custom plans in hand. While I will, of course, vet any decisions with the designer, I have a few basic questions I'm hoping you experienced folks can give me some guidance before posing specific questions to my very busy NA.

This is a workboat, not a yacht. Commercial salmon troller, packs 10K lbs. I had originally and plans are detailed for planned to build in aluminum,(sheet plywood is an alternate by design) as I did my present boat. The boat is designed for construction with sheet materials. After a lot of consideration, however, I'm seeing timber/plywood being an attractive alternative both in construction and operation.

I've used MDO quite a lot, but never for boatbuilding. I've always been very impressed with its durability and workability. Reading through these forums, tho, I'm seeing mixed reviews and opinions. Assuming a quality mill product, is there any reason that an MDO hull, coat of epoxy/dynel outside, painted inside would not be a good choice? Does anyone have any knowledge of long term durability of a larger boat sheathed with MDO? It will be in the water long term, only hauled for service. Timber frame. Heavy built.

Thanks in advance for your insights. Proven workboat grade alternatives are also of great interest but not strip plank, carvel etc.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Why not metal ?

I dont know trollers or the industry but the resale value of an MDO or other core boat must suffer.

Ive got a feeling that the designer should be consulted before materials are selected.

3. skypoke

skypoke Junior Member

The designer has specified the boat can be built from either aluminum or ply. I don't care about resale value.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the durability of MDO in a larger, moored vessel?

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

MDO is a good exterior panel. Ive used it for boat repairs, Never on a hull.

It would be OK if the quality of the panel is good, build craftmanship correct and everything is epoxy sealed. The problem will be the quality of the MDO. You just never know what you buy. With a marine panel you know what it is.
    If you use MDO , source it from a reputable dealer and tell him what you will use it for.

MDO comes one and two sided and with variuos treatments.
    As far as I know MDO is not a technical standard, its a marketing term

http://www.olypanel.com/common/pdf/Guardian MDO Prod Lit - 11-07.pdf

You should price out Meranti BS6566 (Aquatech) before committing to MDO.

Meranti BS6566 is the cheapest marine plywood and its suitable for your project.

Your naval architect should also be contacted to approve the use of MDO.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

All the Chris Craft "Sea Skiffs" were built with MDO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.