Building Boats in Mexico

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by noli, Jul 24, 2012.

1. noli

noli Junior Member

Has anyone ever ventured or did a research on pros & cons for building boats commercially in Mexico?

What am I up against?

what are the Tarifs, lesser labor costs, etc.

Thanks.

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Compared to where?

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Good Question-- but I assume his comparison is to the U.S. What seems like an easy answer here is not necessarily so. Here are a couple of comparisons as I see them from an outsiders point of view.

Possible Advantages in favour of Mexico:

(1)Less startup costs in terms of property purchase and building construction mainly due to more relaxed zoning and building code regulations
    (2)Lower labour costs once the employees have been trained
    (3)Less enviorimental regulations initally but expect that to change with the added possibility of any related cleanup costs after the fact.
    (3) Less property and buisness tax.

Possible disadvantages of manufacturing in Mexico
    (1) Unstable
    (2) Availability of skilled labour in sufficient numbers
    (3) Higher transport costs of raw materials
    (4) An almost non existant in country market compounded with extra miles of transport costs to get the product to market.
    (5) Extra red tape in U.S. certification of the product and a good chance of a percentage of the product being damaged as a result of border and homeland security inspections.
    These are just a few that pop into my head and Note! I used the word "possible" in my evaluation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Lendar

Lendar New Member

You will pay the workers much lower than in USA, but it is very difficulz to sell a bout in Mexico and anywere in South America, but I dont know can it be sold in USA.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

20 years ago Ericson Yachts relocated some production from California south of the border. Into a "special development zone" of some sort.......The advantage did not ensure the company's survival.......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.