Commercial Fishing Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MickT, Nov 14, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

2. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

What is that supposed to mean ?

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

That means, that Buehlers designs are not really what the thread opener would need. Though I was referring to Buehler when I asked for the "style" of vessel, I do not recommend these designs for the intended use.

Tad

they are nicer!

Regards
    Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  5. JRMacGregor

JRMacGregor Junior Member

I agree !

You have now given the original poster options. He can now consider if he is willing to pay for the carrying capacity and performance of this size of vessel, which probably meets his original requirements very well, or pay less and accept the lesser performance of the shorter alternatives.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Might also have a look at the Maine Herring boats...fast

Attached Files:

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Mizzen Sail

Interesting treatment on that mizzen sail in the photo...wonder how they've doused it?

8. michael pierzga

Ive never sailed a traditional rig like that. Looks like they simply boom up, then with a masthead halyard go , round and round. I think the britsh call it "scandalize" the sail

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Gaff ?

It does not appear as though the boom is that long either from drawing, nor its double appearance behind the mast in the photo. Am I suspecting a gaff rigged mizzen?

Not familiar with, "britsh call it 'scandalize' the sai", but it sounds like it might be so?l

10. michael pierzga

Hmm...perhaps I surf the internet for another look. I would think dropping the halyard and boom furling would be hard on a workboat. Leaving everything rigged and then furling to mast sounds logical. I dont know...too much time on modern stuff with carbon booms.

11. MickT

MickT Junior Member

Tad-That is a great looking design, everything looks easy to work and strong. Youre traditional bent also makes things look good, too. :)
    There seems to be some confusion over whether this is an attempt to make more money versus an engine-only vessel, re the cost/benefit discussion. That is not the case. That would be a great thread though. Sail-assisted commercial fishing boat?
    A fishing vessel is a business proposition but also a lifestyle choice. A Southeast Alaskan troller is not a good investment but you would have a hard time convincing many who do it to do anything else.
    So
    The heel angle would not be a concern, as the only fishing the boat would do under sail would be trolling, and in any heavy fishing would go to engine power. There is a different type of longlining called vertical longlining, in which hooks are set vertically down the mainline, 4 or 5 to the string. Bigeye tuna are very sensitive to the thermocline and dissolved oxygen levels. This would be what I would try first. Here is a link to standard tuna longlining operation for micheal pierzga and others who havent seen it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pmggDGqRM
    Tad, I havent heard you comment on the water-ballasted designs such as the Dix ones, and I'm curious about your opinion on those. With a centrifuge those tanks could be used for fuel as well, which would be a big help. What do you think?

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Scandalising is a mean for reducing sail area. With loose footed or boomless gaff sail it's tricing up the tack and maybe ease the peak halyard some. A fast way to reduce sail area.

13. michael pierzga

When I was kid I worked on inshore bottom fish longliners. Much smaller in scale. These boats operated their powerplants at slow speed for the whole day. Logic says that the powerplant and hull shape of a efficient offshore longliner would be optimised for economy at low speed.. The boat Tad shows would be very efficient at low speed. I dont know much about powerplants, drive trains and what could be done to optimize them. Obviously the actual fishing operations are performed under power. Motor and Sail power would be for transit. Low windage and low aspect ratio rigging will be the way to go.
    From the video It looks to me like two important deck design details for a longliner are midships deck space and hip high bulwarks. So no mast rigging, wheelhouse amidships. The video was taken during light wind conditions ......mast and rigging will cause a boat to make leeway when wind is abeam ...again they must be a low windage profile.
    It would be educational to physically investigate the Kite Sail rig. Go for a ride with a boat that actually deploys one. This is the ultimate low profile sail . A workboat with stubby fore and aft mast sail combos for cargo handling, roll dampening and motorsailing power assist, plus a kite sail for added power on transits might be very effective.

What would be the typical "on station fishing"...transit distance to the next fishing region ?

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nice advice Pierzga!
    Only drawback is, there are none

The only mature system at present is Skysails, and that starts at 35 m LOA and costs about 300.000€

But the main disadvantage of such kite is, that it always will pull to the max. It is not adjustable for "sailing" at a lower pace while fishing

15. Kanfish

Kanfish Kansai Fishing Company

Commercial fishing sail assisted vessels

Ahhhh!
    Wooden Ships and Iron men.
    Fantastic!
    Oh for the good old days.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.