ABS Shell Longitudinal Spacing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boa, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Boa

Boa Junior Member

In the attachment which is the correct definition of the longitudinal spacing "s" in the ABS Guide for Building Yachts

Attached Files:

2. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I believe "A" is the correct answer. Some might argue that it should be "B". It's certainly not "C".
    It looks as if you're trying to determine the scantlings of a multihull using ABS' rules. You cannot do that - the ABS rules are only for monohulls! Multihulls are subjected to loads that are not covered by these rules.

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

"C" would be correct, subject to soren's caveat that multihulls are not covered. Of course, you offset that humungous distance by being able to take a nuge curvature allowance :) Or, at least, you would be if that was a monhull....
    If it IS a monhull, all I can say is "Can we see more?"
    Steve

4. SailDesign

Oops - quick clarification - It would be "A" if there was a centreline structural member.

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is common practice among naval architects to use "A", even without a structural member at the centerline.
    You could use "B" and get the huge curvature allowance, but I don't think ABS would allow it (were they still in the yachting business).
    According to Larsson & Eliassons "Principles of Yacht Design", the new ISO-standards state that "A" should be used.
    Anyway - "s" is always the shortest (i.e. straight-line) distance between two supporting members.
    And by the way: The ABS Guide doesn't specifically state that it doesn't cover multihulls. According to Section 1, Part 1.5.1, the Guide "...is applicable to offshore racing yachts..." and multihulls are yachts too, aren't they? ;-)
    Like Steve said: If it IS a monohull, let's see it! If it's a multihull, use the ISO-standard (it DOES cover multihulls!)

6. SailDesign

Soren,
    I'd correct you if were wrong, but...
    I wouldn't use "A" as drawn, simply because I would have at least thinckened the laminate in that area to provide some sort of longitudinal structure at the most efficient point. :) This would at least make "A" valid. "C" is, as you say, plain wrong (I plead sickness from it being a Friday afternoon), and "B" is just simply the correct (by the book) one to use, except that ABS wouldn't let you get away with it. They don't even let you get away with following the rule properly - it's always "Add a layer of 12oz mat"

STeve

7. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I'm glad we agree! All our designs have some sort of stiffening along the centerline or close to it. If not for any other reason, then because it is common sense!

When ABS published the Guide and it became mandatory for offshore racing yachts, I was very enthusiastic about it, but after having used it for about ten designs I'm not so sure... The above is just one example of the Guide being unclear.

I think we all should use the ISO Standard in the future, or maybe Lloyd's SSC-rules (at least for cruisers)

8. Boa

Boa Junior Member

Here follows what the ISO Rules call up which is also ambiguous, but as I am studying the ABS solution that is the one I need some clarity on. I have recently seen some sandwich cored racing monohulls that do not have any stiffening in the hull or deck for the first 25% - 30% part of the vessel, so I was wondering how where they got there "s" dimension from, especially considering that there is no hardspot at keel cl area (it is actually flat there in most cases) similar to most powerboat hulls.

In the “ISO 12215-5” rule “Section 7.1.2 Sandwich Construction” it states:
    In general the sandwich area of the hull forward of 0.6*Lwl shall be supported by one centerline stringer and two additional stringers port and starboard side fitted at 0.25 and 0.5 times the half girth from centerline. Arrangements that provide the same strength and stiffness are acceptable.

In the “ISO 12215-6” rule “Section 5.4 Sandwich Construction” it states:
    Sandwich construction can be regarded as an effective means to achieve overall rigidity and avoid deflection beyond permissible limits. This construction method may be suitable with or without additional stiffening.

9. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

What you've seen are so-called monocoque designs, that is designs that rely on the shell plating to take all (or at least most) of the imposed loads.
    I have no experience with monocoque designs, but I believe that they fall under the category "Arrangements that provide the same strength and stiffness..." mentioned in the ISO Standard. If that is true, then "s" doesn't come into play at all, since you won't be using the formulas of the Standard - you'll probably have to use direct calculation instead.
    By the way: Have you seen the latest issue of Seahorse? In it, there is the first part of a series analysing composite raceboat structures. Might be interesting to follow...

10. SailDesign

The "monocoque" method also looks similar to boats with "encased" stringers - i.e. the stringer is sandwiched with, and the same thickness as,the core, and covered by the inner skin, giving the look of having no structure.
    Steve

11. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

...and then there's "semi-monocoque" where parts of the interior is used as stiffening members.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.