TouchCAD and VectorWorks

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by Swilson, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Swilson

Swilson New Member

I've found at least one older post that mentions using VectorWorks in conjunction with TouchCAD.

Another site I found mentions it, as well, but doesn't say why. What is the advantage/reason for using both? TouchCAD seems to be a fairly complete program.

I'm interested in using TouchCAD for designing tensioned fabric structures and inflatables and making patterns, but this site popped up at the top of my google search.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Sean Wilson

2. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Older versions of TouchCAD lacked some basic documentation features, such as tools for text and measurements. You therefore needed a basic CAD program for documentation and drafting. The current TouchCAD does however support these features, so a supporting CAD program is not really necessary. I personally use both TouchCAD and Vectorworks, as Vectorworks offers more documentation and drafting tools, a more powerful photorealistic rendering engine, and a way to export TouchCAD models in IGES and Parasolids format. TouchCAD is however a vastly superior free form modeler, it has one of the best unfolding engines in the business with dynamic links between the 3D model and the unfolded parts, parametric unfolding settings including individual seam allowances, integrated nesting of the unfolded parts, automatic bill of material spreadsheet, and direct export of ready to cut files in file formats commonly used in the fabrics industry.

TouchCAD has certainly been used for seriously impressive projects. The picture shows an inflatable concert hall. Floor area, just under 1000 square meters. Surface area, about 4000 square meters, distributed over 987 unfolded panels. Panels where optimized for a material width of 1.5 meters. An imaginary roll of material would be something like 3.2 kilometers / 2 miles long. The entire design was completed in just two days, from scratch to ready to cut files. The tent was up and running in under six weeks from finishing the design. More info, demos, examples and tutorial videos about TouchCAD can be found at www.touchcad.com

Attached Files:

3. Swilson

Swilson New Member

Thanks Claes! That definitely answers my question. The example you sited from the TouchCAD site are very helpful, as well.

Thanks again,

Sean Wilson

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.