Comfy ride @ 25 knots?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saqa, Jun 24, 2014.

1. NoahWannabe

NoahWannabe Junior Member

NoosaCat suggestion

NoosaCat from Australia should work too. Many models to choose from 17' to 30' and beyond. I think NoosaCat 2300 or 2400 should work great for you. If you are stuck on 6m then 1850 model will work fine for 3 fishermen. They have been around for a while, look for a good used boat too. DIY building and getting certified would be bureaucratic process even for an Australian government. Wishing you much luck and fun trips!

http://www.noosacat.com.au/Noosa_Cat/Home.html

[​IMG]

Not associated with NoosaCat at all.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If saqa is on a shoestring budget, he won't be able to make this a reality. Fishing charter businesses come and go, with few seeming to last. It is a "nightmare" business where the weather is always a problem, fish are unreliable, and customers may not be that understanding of those issues ! And a 6-metre boat, regardless of what it can be certified to accomodate, is really not comfortable for more than two fishing offshore, plus the skipper. So the costs have to be carried by two people only, which makes for an expensive outing, any more people get in one another's way.

3. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

good hulls

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is NoosaCat widely available in North America ?

5. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I know its not available in the far north west of Fiji ;)

C'mon guys I am confused now, whats the go with this conversation :/ In other threads that I have started, when I inquire regarding a technical issue I get asked why would want to do what I want to do instead of a conversation on the issue in question. This time I wrote down the whole lifes story and which direction I am leaning from what I am gleaning and you guys recommend things that would be absolutely out of scope of where I am located and the gameplan that I want to follow and the follow up queries I am making in the thread from the info I am receiving :/

As I mentioned in my starting post:
    1) Little third world types Island
    2) GT popping i.e standing up to cast 200g or thereabouts plugs with 8' rods running 100 odd pound line
    3) Competing with panga types glass or ply hulls
    4) 30mins at 25 knots range
    5) Very choppy conditions
    6) In the whole of essay in the starting post I made no mention of trailable being a requirement
    7) DIY

Its a question of what I should be exploring so I can find out what kind of budgets I have to set to meet my goals, not what kind of budget I have, really how can I set an appropriate budget if I do not know what I need yet?

Mr E likes the Sharky from his personal experience with that boat in the types of conditions I described and speed I wanted. Thank you! It gives me a starting point

My preference is to build something. Possibly the Glen-L model I posted earlier in this thread after looking online for something resembling the Efficient ones recommendation. I requested opinions on that model and what else around like that and re precutting and things. Its a lot more value and easier to freight a flat pack of cut sheet metal to the shipping terminal in Fiji from Au or NZ and then carry it home on the back of a truck and then take some of that setup years I listed to build it

6. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Mate I did specify in me request for information that the activity will be GT popping. And requested info on something like the prevailing recommendation of a cat and requested info on the 22' Glen-L model

7. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hi mate, the local maritime officer is a good acquaintance and I always pick her brains. Things look favorable and within scope of what I can achieve and requesting information on. Looks like a 6 odd meters of cat will do me nicely if its the kind of ride I am after in a daily drive. Am looking at applying for Fijian residential status so I can get my boating masters here.

8. NoahWannabe

NoahWannabe Junior Member

Power Catamaran for Fishing Charter; 25 knots, popping plug for GT, 3 passengers

Sorry Saga, I will try to stick with the thread scope.

#1 Recommendation: NoosaCat 1850
    This is closest to what you are looking for imo. Evolved design of the SharkCat design. I am guessing this is a best semi-planing moderate V-hulls on a power catamaran.
    [​IMG]

#2 Recommendation: SliverCat 29
    I know this is much longer than 6m. But if you are looking for a displacement hull that can go fast in very rough water. I think this may be it. This is a displacement catamaran equivalent of 6m planing OB boat, imho. This would be my first choice for offshore Pacific pleasure fishing boat.
    http://www.supercat.co.za/sliver_29.htm
    [​IMG]

Glen-L models?
    I am not sure which of Glen-L power catamaran you have looked, but they are not, none of them look to be able to do 25knot in rough water 12 nautical miles offshore. They seem more suitable for calm protected inshore water with 1-2 feet chops, not 6-10 feet swells and 1-3 feet chop on top. I don't know Fiji sea conditions. Maybe other qualified boat professionals can enlighten us. Nothing against Glen-L design, just my visual observation of the line drawings and pictures on Glen-L site.

I have been searching for best offshore fishing boat for decades. I find these two as the best but each doesn't fit my personal requirements exactly. I may have to build it but my life is in the way. Best wishes on your venture! *envious*

No, not available in USA. Seen used one in Boattrader.com once.

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

There are a few companys in aus that sell flat packs of their designs in aluminum. They come with assembly jig and plans. Another option would be a hydrofield. They are a good compromise between a cat and a mono.

10. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

This one

11. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

wood is cheap and works fine as long as its sealed. the 22 will work for what you want to do.

I think you are looking at 40K minimum to buy new engines and build a cat, so that is why I suggested that you buy a Seacat 22 and have it shipped to Fiji. The are Seacat 21 SL1 that are a little older that use t45's to t90's, and they are plentiful on boattrader for $10-19K if you don't mind a little older and lower.

12. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

You fellas are usually very switched on savy types, do I really need to spell out the between the lines types stuff :) Agricultural lease and its implications! You know, bringing in some sheet metal to make things around the farm and the duty/breaks benefits.... bit hard to justify why I would need a 24' offshore boat for the prawn farm but resources to build some flat bottom pond tenders and such ;) Is anyone going to audit exactly where all the tin went :) And what else the welding plants and tractors and such are getting used for :D

Usually you fellas can tell the what the boat designers firstborn had for breakfast just by looking at lines of a boat :) We agree that I should be looking at a cat. My best route is to build one. Arent you guys in the know about what is out there in terms of kits and plans for plate cats? Or know the Wildcat 22 very well? Considering that a 15' skiff can fish the area I am targeting safely, a 22' cat is plenty of boat for my target market and grounds. The issue at hand is personal comfort underway and design and tech issues for the project I should look into. The reef break can be seen from the shore, its not that far out and the swell is rarely over 3m. The ride home through the chop on the lagoon is the real punish!

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you checked out the Sea Sled design?

14. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Gonz that types is something I have always regretted not building in a 15' version instead of the skiff I am currently putting the finishing touches on. But only for the **** factor. I really dont have any ideas on its performance potential other then its a boat and will get me out there for a fish and be stable for stand up casting

I just did a google search and internal forum search and seems to be a lot of mixed opinions and mostly unfavorable. This could be a result of common speculation and not enough hands on experience with the design, I do not know. Would love to find out how one of these things would go in a 20' or thereabouts size in plate alloy. Looks like they go ok with a single engine and that would be a plus for me

Do you have any links to resources that I might have missed?

15. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.