Comet Mast Base Question

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Chris Naff, May 16, 2022.

1. Chris Naff

Chris Naff New Member

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidance on this. I was given a Comet that needs some repair work. It has a wooden mast/boom but fiberglass hull. The picture is where the mast meets the hull and as you can see it’s pretty dry rotted. I’m not sure how they originally rigged this so I was hoping someone here might have some insight. Also in the picture is a round block of wood, not sure what this is or how it was used.
    Thanks in advance !

Attached Files:

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Great boat.

You almost have it right.
    Originally the mast would have fit between the metal plates and secured by a transverse pin. This allows for adjustment of the mast rake.

Over time the mast base was damaged and trimmed back.
    The small white block was used in the track and to restore mast height.
    The mast base continued to deteriorate. Trimmed again and a round spacer added.

Happy sailing

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Might be able to repair the bottom of that unless the rot goes up real far.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That's a pretty straightforward repair. Cut the wood up to where it is not rotted. Splice a new piece to it. The bevel should be about 5:1 with epoxy. Cutting a V shaped end will take less wood off the mast and will cost you less in replacement material.

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.