Colorado Okoume Ply Buy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wayne Grabow, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I am buying ten sheets of okoume 6mm marine plywood from Noah's. I have purchased plywood, meranti and okoume, there in the past and was pleased. Anyhow, the shipping will be about $200. Just wondering if anyone wants to piggy back on my order to save on shipping as well as the per sheet price? The per sheet price for the 6mm is $60.75, but you could order something different and still save on the shipping.

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I'm ordering from there also but i'm in calgary ab.so not gonna work.
    good luck.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I was wondering why Noah's? Not that I've anything against them - that's where I shop - but you're a long way from Toronto. Boulter's has a good rep . . .

4. Wayne Grabow

There is no okoume in Colorado; i have to get it from the coast-- either east or west. Noah's is as close as any and has a better price. I have used them a couple times before and have been pleased with their service and product.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

LL Johnson in Charlotte, Michigan sells okoume BS1088 plywood. http://www.theworkbench.com/ I realize Michigan and Ontario may seem like the coast to someone in Colorado but if live in either you don't think that way.

6. ancient kayaker

Good to know something in Canada is priced well!

Noah's is kinda close to a lake . . .

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

And Michigan is the state with the longest shoreline.

8. Wayne Grabow

You have ocean-going transport vessels in Michigan, so it must be on the coast. Some day I hope to travel to such far away places. (thanks for the humor.) I checked out LL Johnson; it was more expensive.

9. ancient kayaker

Nice comeback! Let's hear it for Canadian prices ( don't get the chance to say that often)

Afterthought: I don't like to say this but the last sheet of "BS1088" I got from Noah's was not up to snuff; it has delaminated in several places. Regular BS has gone the way of a lot of other things recently. To quote the title of an old Britcom "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Price"

- next time I will buy the LLoyd's . . .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. Wayne Grabow

Terry,
    Really sorry to find that you experienced delamination. I have purchased meranti and okoume from them previously and was pleased with the product. The agent said that they would hand select the sheets for me and that the quality was not visibly much different than the Joubert brand that they also carry. I'll find out.

11. ancient kayaker

I don't think the problem is with Noah which is a reputatable and responsible source, it's with plywood quality in general. I don't know if there's any way to tell, but if I had my way I would avoid plywood of Chinese origin, the way I do with all food items. It's just not worth the risk. There are quality Chinese sources of course, but there seems to be a culture of indifference to consequences there, and a lack of familiarity and visibility with their brands here, and that makes it difficult or impossible to protect one's interests when making a purchase. Western brands who behave like that are quickly identified and go under or mend their ways under market pressure, but Chinese sources seem to be able to trade behind familiar western brand names and the warning "made in China" is not always apparent or seen until too late . . .

12. liki

liki Senior Member

I've heard it's pretty common in Chinese industry. They don't have much of their own name, or reputation, to protect yet. Further the local laws are such that for the entrepreuner it is often easier to just run and hide when financial troubles start.
    At that point it is common that the entrepreuner just gathers, or steals, everything he can from the company and vanishes. And gathering as much pay-in-advance orders as possible and shipping anything for outstanding orders, even waste, just to gather as much payments as possible is not unheard of.

13. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Actually Michigan, or Ontario seem like something very far from the coast...and even somewhat foreign ...especially Ontario...lol

14. ancient kayaker

You should try a trip to Ontario, you'll meet the same people you find in Florida, which Canadians think of as the 11th province . . .

15. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

We like Canadians very much here ...and there are many here 'tis true...Also true that I'd like to get up to Toronto someday and see hometown of the greatest Rock group ever after the Beatles....that's right!...RUSH!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.