Insulating a fiberglass sailboat for Mediterranean and tropical weather.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sailormannen, Jan 26, 2018.

?

Use reflexive material next to glasfiber?

1. Closed cell foam with aluminium coat

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Separate metallised film

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Silver/reflective paint/epoxy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Epoxy with microspheres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No need to reflect sun, just foam

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Totally something different

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sailormannen

sailormannen New Member

Hello all,

I'm about to insulate a older (-76) sailboat. Now it's fiberglass and an old vinyl-cloth clued to that, it falls of by it self by now. It's in the Mediterranean now and I noticed the boat becomes really hot during summer days and now wintertime it's cold. After heating boat up and shut down heater it takes not half an hour to be cold again. I found a thread here that was discussing this subject but is now old.
    Recommendations was 'Mylan' metallic film for sun reflexion, 10mm closed cell foam, vinyl.
    Is this still a recommended way to go for sailing hot sun climate, and cold nights? Don't have much condense inboard.
    Foam with aluminium coat, separate reflection film och silver epoxy paint or epoxy with microspheres? What is a good choice here?
    Would you use contact adhesive to apply aluminium coat, 'Mylan' film to glasfiber?

Thank you in advance and safe winds!

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah, its not easy to decide, and the condensation thing is an issue. Not only the best insulation, but how quickly you can change the air in the boat as the weather varies outside. I think you really need 25mm of foam for a boat minimum. Has anyone tried reflecting surface near the hull to keep the heat out, and another reflecting surface just underneath the liner to keep the heat in ?

3. sailormannen

sailormannen New Member

I found closed cell foam by an Armacell company called OneFlex. Am going for 9mm thickness. How the thickness works will show in summer. There are reflective metallic film in good quality already sticked to it and I am already glad for that, removing a piece of foam from hull without it is a mess ;)
    Will continue in some weeks from now.
    Another question, what is a nice technic to cover the switch between vinyl and wood interior (also vinyl to smooth glasfiber in roof? Lists? Few mm soft plastic tubes? What else is there?

Thx!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.