Slat seating

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bobbrown, Apr 21, 2022.

1. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Well I’m down to the seating... would like to use a series of slats.
    The question is... is there an industry standard for overhang and spacing? How about if you don’t intend on using cushions?
    Thanks all

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Not that I'm aware of.
    Have a look around, patio furniture, etc.
    Thickness would be another variable, 1/2" slats?
    Width as well, 1", 1 1/2", 2"?
    Maybe research chair design but really, this should be pretty intuitive.
    Oh, and your supports, that would affect all of the above.

Are you really in SE Georgia or USA?

3. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

SE. Georgia USA….thanks. I used to build a bunch of wood decks…our spacing both for seating and deck was a 16 penny nail or a speed square width. That’s about 3/16.
    The general thinking at the time was the spacing was safer for women’s shoes. Weather that’s correct or not…I have no idea…but that was the general thinking at the time.
    So..that’s my background on the subject. Just wondering what the current marine thinking is.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Alternative to slats is woven cane. If weight is of interest, the cane weave is better. Also a little more comfortable, less concentrated load, and more ventilation for ones glutes.

BlueBell likes this.
  5. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Interesting idea. Thanks I’ll look into it

6. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Canvas is another option.

7. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

There's seating and then there is seating,which is to say that more details are needed.For slatted seats in a cockpit I'd start with something about 2"X7/8" and skim as little off when planing as I could get away with.A 1/4" radius on the top corners would be useful and then I'd decide whether they should be straight or swept-if the designer hadn't specified.Then it becomes a matter of fixing and finishing.

If the seating is inside a cabin and intended to support cushions or mattresses just about anything strong enough wold suffice.It would almost certainly be less expensive to use plywood,unless you have your own stand of trees and a sawmill to convert them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.