Cold-moulded dinghy plans?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tomkcook, Oct 1, 2018.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The building of hull shells is a very small, but vital part of a boat build.

For a 40-50' boat, buying the hull is also an option. Cold molding a large hull is a sure recipe for a boat you never finish.

The thing to do is write a statement of requirements, find the right design, and the build method will be apparent. Foam sandwich, developable panel or monocoque construction in foam or strip planking.

Cold molding is a recipe for failure.

I am building a developable panel cat 32' long foam sandwich vac table. It is a full time job for me and was a 24 month plan, but my hip failed, so the time will go an extra year. I would recommend you build your dinghy using infusion of either panels or the full hull.

But first, find the design you like. Then the build method will be vivid.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.