Electric engine conversion and build or buy roller furling

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Morris Goldin, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Morris Goldin

Morris Goldin New Member

I’ve traded for or outright got for free a few small old outboards that I’m hoping to take apart and convert to electric powered outboards. I’m also considering building a larger inboard drive system with an electric powered 48 volt go cart / forklift/ golf cart/ motorcycle motor with a Curtis controller and running my boat off a solar arch and a few vawt’s. Anyone have experience with electric repowers and or outboard motor wells?

I’ve also thought of a really cheap way to build an in boom furling system but I was wondering if there was any actually affordable systems on the market already. I am planning on setting up roller furling for mains’l fors’l all of the above.

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Unless you find one from a salvage yard or come across someone trying to just get rid of one, "actually affordable" and sailboats mix about as well as oil and water.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Affordable is different depending on each person's budget. In boom furlers are, in my opinion, mainly for cosmetic purposes. You can build an old style furling boom for much cheaper and it will be simpler too.

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Is The Blue Pelican still doing business in Alameda?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.