Cold Molding Advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by stuart, Jan 15, 2005.

1. That is a possibility. But I want to finish the boat before I die. I have picked a design that has no sharp curves. I should be able with neighbors help, and 1" closed cell poly foam to draw the single layer of ply around the frames with choker ropes and a few light duty comealongs. Not to distort, but enough to allow equal left and right side assy. It worked on a 8' PTB. Why not on a 17.5'-- 2 seater? I will overpower the daylight out of it if need be. 389 ft lbs of torque from 1000 rpm up. Ease of assy., ONCE, is the very attainable goal. A couple of clear coats. Poof, I am in the water. THEN I can decide if I really love her. And lavish money on her.

2. Lived in Metuchen, next to Fords. I will use either Condons out of White Plains, NY, Shipping is my problem.. Or Harbor out of Baltimore, MD. They deliver no charge to NJ. Or maybe Lumber Products thru local Reps. www.lumpro.com , they have AA FIR 4' X 18'. Phoning them on Tuesday.I am not getting enough sleep since I am doing this boat for real. :) :)

3. Veneer over FIR can be very risky due to FIR being a very strong grained wood. It can check so strongly, that it would easely check right thru epoxy alone and the veneer if it had to. AA shoud not do that, but. I would have a seizure and look for a gas pipe. Bruynzeel should spare me. Rich :)