Cold molded mono hull

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ediestel, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ediestel

ediestel Junior Member

" a 22ft. outrigger canoe in cold molded plywood using 2 layers of 1.5mm marine ply. Also it has a layer of 200 g.s.m. woven carbon over the outside and one layer of tightly woven 100 g.s.m. fibreglass over that. "

How much does cold molded hull weigh in comparison with a double carbon hull with a thin core ?

Is a cold molded laminate hull resistant to being soaked with water/ how resistant is it ?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Can't answer the first question but I can answer the second. If the cold molded hull is soaked with resin then it will be extremely resistant to water getting in the wood. I had a cold molded boat that was built in 1948. It was still going strong in the 1980's. I sold it but I imagine it's still being used.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.