Cold Molded Construction & Long Term Value

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by fishboat, Jun 2, 2003.

1. fishboat

fishboat Junior Member

I started the Fishboat Conversion thread some time back and, after looking at a number of commercial boats, decided to pass on this effort. For the combined money of the initial fishboat & subsequent refitting (plus a couple more dollars, though not that much) I can get a boat that is much closer to being what I want it to be.

I recently located a Bill Garden designed powerboat built in 1985. It's a cold-molded vessel built by a local Washington-state boatyard that Garden worked with on a few occasions.

As one wanders around looking at boats it doesn't take long to note the depressed prices on wooden boats compared to similar (and much higher priced) glass vessels. I'm not anti-wood by any means...other than the resale value/demand being low.

I'm not that familar with cold-molded boats. I understand their basic construction reasonably well, and I know there are some very nice vessels being built this way, but how they've faired in the market is a mystery.

Assuming proper initial construction and care(this may be big assumption): Does anyone have a feel for how cold-molded boats have retained their value over the years? Are they any worse(better?) than similar glass or steel boats? Is the life expectancy of a cold molded boat different from a glass boat(given proper sealing of any thruhulls or intrusions into the wood). Are they repairable? Any issues if they are used in fresh water?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Cold molded boats can outlast a fiberglass one. Of course it depends on the quality of construction and mainteinance. I'
    ve build many cold molded Carolina Sportfishermen. They get a lot of abuse fishing off the Outer Banks. They are repairable. I suggest you get a survey by a surveyor knowledgabe in this kind of construction. I can do the survey if you are interested.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

There is no problem with the structure of cold moulded , its a very sophistaced construction method. Light strong & not expensive.

The problem is the same with any wooden object , the slightest leak , deck , port ,window or fastning and the rot is sure to follow.

Biulding in foam core (Airex) gives far more boat for the buck.
    Insulated , does not sweat , noise controll and very easy interior cabinetry fastening. Very suitable for a one off , only hassle is exterior fairing is tedious.

With the hundreds of fish boats being driven out of business by the Tree Huggers , there are some bargans oin the used boat market.
    Esp in Canada , where their Socalist Gov pays the fish guy to sell his permit & boat , out of commercial srervice. Also the US dollar has some purchasing power there.

Good Luck in finding a great boat to re deck & build a trawler on.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.