2 way door

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rasorinc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

On the starboard side of the rear deck I'm going to have an inward opening door to assess the boat. Approx 32" high and 30" wide. Would like to construct a 2-way door opening inward then also opening as a drop down ramp with a cable on each side as a stop. I have not seen any hardware
    connected together allowing this. Any thoughts, ldeas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stan

2. daveydavey

daveydavey Junior Member

Door within a steel perimeter frame. Door hinges to side of frame, frame hinges at bottom to boat

As ramp:
    Door and frame together drop as ramp.

As door:
    Door within frame swings as door, while frame stays latched to deck/cabin opening.

Make the hardware.

Howzat?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmm...sounds like it will take up alot of space. Will a sliding door work

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I have looked into this too, and came to the conclusion that the side hinged frame/bottom hinged door is the only workable solution. Even at that, double action door will be very hard to seal against water intrusion.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Stan, if you have a picture one could get a better idea... ?

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Fanie, no pics and nothing on Google to see or any data on one. I just thought someone might have invented one. I can design a regular door with a slide out door ramp that will cant downward with a hinge but that is the only way I see at the moment and it would entail a double floor panel, Lots of work so a detached ramp appears to be the easiest solution. Store it and pull it out when needed.
    with a snap on connection.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate that.
    again, THANKS

8. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Sorry, I misread, thought you wanted the door to open in and/or out.
    I am also seeking input on this matter, as my boat is primarily used for sportfishing, which requires a door that swings out of the way for loading a big fish, but can also open down to where the underside of the gunnel will serve as a step for divers to reenter the boat.
    The transom is slightly rounded and crowned, adding further complications.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.