Aluminum Tread Plate Coating?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by finstinct, Mar 21, 2010.

1. finstinct

finstinct New Member

Hi all, new to the site quite a bit to absorb here but I'll start with a question.

I am replacing the tread plate on engine room deck panels that were previously powder coated with a clearcoat by the boat manufacturer... That ended poorly with the drop of a part or a tool or a scratch would later come nice size chunks of failing powdercoat in the bilge pumps, air filters, engine wells... a real mess.

I was thinking of finishing with a white awlgrip, to identify scratches and dings quicker and give the ability to touch up. Really like it as shiny metal, but not sure its possible to clearcoat with the ability to repair while traveling. Powedercoating not having the ability to repair is the problem. Not too sure leaving them untreated is the way to go either... They are plastic honeycomb core with starboard tmolding edges. The aluminum is secured to the panel by way of epoxy.

Any suggestions?