Buyer trends for cored hulls?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bill Kaputnik, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Bill Kaputnik

Bill Kaputnik New Member

Lot of you guys building should know answers to what sells, seems like. I wonder if buyers tend to shy away from boats built with cored hulls? My perception is that a large number of people shy away from cored hulls.. Any feedback?

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

No my personal experience is they prefer a cored hull in my end of the business..

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Unfortunately, you're quite correct, a common perception is that cored hulls will flood with water at the drop of a dime, and yes, a lot of cored boats have been built very poorly. In the case of hulls built with slit coring, as long as the slits are filled with core-bond putty, all the individual squares will be segregated, and consequently flooding will stop at the next undamaged bondline. When it comes to unslit foam-coring, the closed cells will slow the water migration quite considerably, but proper installation of thru-hull fittings and all other penetrations is always imperative.

It's all a matter of understanding the degree of workmanship required.

Yokebutt.

4. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

The only way to build a large composite yacht is thru sandwich construction Period the days of some heavy solid glass monstrosity are over and have been for 25 years , In the Ultra high performance arena the only way to achieve the stiffness required for a boat to run around 200 mph is thru the same. The simple vacuum bagging/clamping and wet/bagging techniques in use for a couple decades guarantee integrity along with the modern “Approved” core selections and resins...

Beware of hand contact pressure anything in a hull!

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I'll second War Whoops sentiment!

Yokebutt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.