Boat won't plane out when fully loaded

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by smihty, Jul 24, 2006.

1. smihty

smihty New Member

I have a 1998 Sea Ray 185 Bow Rider. It has a 4.3L Mercruiser with 190hp with a recommended 4800rpm WOT. I currently have a 3 blade Mercruiser Laser II Stainless Steel prop that is 13.75 x 23. I have no problem planing out when the boat is not loaded heavily, but when I reach the maximum load capicity it takes way to long to plane out. If I exceed the weight capacity, it won't plane out at all. The prop just spins out. Would a new prop with a lower pitch help me out or am I just overlading the boat? I am not worried about top end performance, I just want to cruise and tow skiers.

2. biggin

biggin Junior Member

you minght want to size down to a 19 and see what happens

3. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

What is your WOT rpm with 23 propeller and low load?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Youve basically answered you own questions really. You are corect in your assumtions = reduce friends or reduce pitch.

We used to dump all the gear on the beach and return to the same spot, this used to lighten up a bit. This probably wont make much impression on your boat.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

To start with, you should never exceed the boats capacity; no exceptions. Secondly, if you are at the load capacity and try to tow a skier, you are overloading the engine.

6. alex fletcher

alex fletcher Junior Member

I totally agree with gonzo In australia. a skier is counted as a passenger and you would incur a fine if you where found to have excess passenger including any skiers. I also agree with Jack may I suggest a bigger boat will fix your problem
    with pitching you will have to compromise possibly and fit a different pop when you ski
    there is a number of post relating to skiing and heavy hull loads I think you should read these as they may answer the questions you have

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.