coastal or off shore

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by wavepropulsion, Aug 19, 2015.

1. wavepropulsion

wavepropulsion Junior Member

Hello, I need some help.
    Somebody can tell me please what's the difference of a design classified as 'coastal' or 'off shore'?
    I was searching in Selway Fisher website and some boats are classified this way, Can be a help or a guide other than a rule? I seen that with similar carachteristics, the wider boats are considered off-shore and the narrower coastal by the designer.
    I understand 'inland waters' and 'estuary' but other than the ability to ride big swells I believe coastal can be more demanding than off-shore.
    I was considering his Avon 22 and Power 2(both 'coastal') , I believe that boats are more efficient than his Power 1.3 classified as off-shore (this has a little rocker in the forefoot and is very wide).
    Thank you all and sorry if the question is too silly. But the designers by taging theyr boats sometimes create or erase a market and makes me have some doubts.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you are using classification society rules, the definition of each area of operation is clearly given at the beginning. It is not consistent across different Class societies either.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It depends on the location. For example, in the USA there are no legal distinctions between offshore and inshore. Uruguay has more regulations and require regular inspections even for recreational boats.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

As noted above, if you are using Classification society rules, each has their own definitions of onshore offshore etc. This is also true for Flag sates - those that issue the permits to operate, such as USCG in the US or MCA in the UK etc.

Here is DNV's:

DNV area limits.jpg

and here is LR's:

LR area limits-1.jpg LR area limits-2.jpg

Take your pick...

5. wavepropulsion

Thank you very much. So I understand this classification does not affects the seaworthiness of the boats, but follow standards for legal purposes. I'm right?
    I intend to build in Brazil where the rules are more permissives, and my doubt was about the capabilty of the hulls to manage swells and weather.
    Nice to see your answer Gonzo, I follow some of your comments and I seen pictures you posted from where you gillnetted here. Fisheries still being lost in this country because the marine wolves and some foreigner furtives fishing with explosives in the east, lack of strategyes,etc..
    Ad Hoc, the boats I choice are because the similarityes with some japanese boats, I found plans for a traditional one but before modifying it I consider better to buy plans. Thank you, I still reading your attachements.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That, said by this way, directly, without further explanation, it is amazing. I would like further explanation, to understand how regulations in the US may have such large loopholes. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are no loopholes, there is no existing regulations for recreational vessels. It is up to the master to decide whether the vessel is adequate or not.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Thanks, really, for your explanations but you did not talk of regulation for recreational vessels but of "legal distinction". That is the nuance that has caught my attention. And the master, what he bases this decision, which can endanger human lives?
    Perhaps my professional bias prevents me to understand that there can be such a great freedom to design boats. Excuse my ignorance and thanks again.

9. wavepropulsion

Under my little experience, the more developed the country the less the regulations . Actually I'm in a country with much regulations (you must register a kayak here and must have a license ), specially about the electronics and other implements on board. But I been in Australia and Europe sailing too.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I grew up in Uruguay. The regulations are overwhelming.