Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest625101138, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

At last... some common sense on this thread...;)

On the fishing front, seals are the greatest problem here. They lie, sunning themselves, on the surface...one eye open, watching as you sweat to bring a good size bottom fish up from 100+ metres. Then just before you get it aboard, they gently roll over and go grab your catch. Not silly enough to swallow them hook and all, they will bring it to the surface and fling it about until it comes off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Good GRIEF !!! What are the frogs going to be like if the toads are this vicious :eek:

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Will, those friggin seals sounds a bit like the government eh :D

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I have only ever seen the toadfish schooling on the surface once. I do not even know the species. They are not an ugly fish. The have a large head with the typical 4 front teeth of smaller toadfish. The back is a dark grey-green. The underbody is pure white. Overall length from 300 to 400mm. I have caught them in Moreton Bay off Brisbane and they give a good fight. If you have a bit of fight, lose it and come up with just the shank on a 4/0 hook you know it was a green toadfish.

Seeing them schooling off Southport about 6nm offshore was a scary sight. A swimmer would not last more than a few seconds amongst them.

I do not know if others have seen the same thing. I have not seen piranas but these things have much more powerful jaws than anything else I have seen in the water.

Rick

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Except they don't need to hold an enquiry before they decide to steal your catch...;)

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I did a research paper on toad fish ( scorpionidie )
    you must be referring to something else cause these things are the ugliest thing in the ocean

B

7. harry tams

harry tams Junior Member

Sorry guys. A lot of spin. Do not at all wish to appear arrogant. Coastal cruiser?
    Harry Tams

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Fanie,
    Sorry for having been of the air, but this boatbuilder passed away on Sunday morning. Apparantly he was a diabetics and then to have 2 heartvalves replaced in a 10 hour operation, this was too much for him. He was brilliant in technical solutions and craftmanship, but sadly he was weak in marketing. Thus, his very light sailing cruiser have been only sold to a few customers, with some of them winning in local competitions.

I loved to have asked him, about the weight solution for the designs from Rick, to make Rick's concept as light as possible.

To come back on a Catamaran, yes, it is a solution, but the cost to keep a Catamaran in our small Mosselbay harbour is draining too much on my finances. I did a rough sketch for a trailable catamaran in a thread, but nobody responded on it. Thus it is faded away . "trailable electric catamaran" But to make this sketch into a workable concept, will cost a fortune to Naval architects and structual engineers.

Back to basics again.

Bert

9. Guest625101138

Attached picture is not the one but gives some idea of what the teeth are like.

Sorry Harry - last one on fish.

Rick W

Attached Files:

10. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hey who doesn't like fish ?? We should have a whole thread only on fish because it is directly related to boat designing ! :D

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Bert, don't loose faith.

There isn't much to show yet, but have a look here.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/boxy-fisher-catamaran-26429.html

I have a friend that wants 10 x 9m hulls. I can just as well make it 12, BUT I cannot do it right away and you will have to do the transport yourself. There are trailers that one can hire that will suit. See the thread.

Making a cat trailable is not a train smash, in fact I think it's reasonable easy.
    How does a 9m x 5m trailable cat sound to you ? One reason most guys stay under 9m is you don't have to do the aditional >9m skippers.

13. harry tams

harry tams Junior Member

An interesting design. It reminds me of Phil Bolger's step sharpies (Bee, Hawkeye, Micro Trawler). The difference being speed. it appears he his using speed to lift the 'fat portion of the boat out of the water. You are using lightweight materials and streamlined hull and superstructure to achieve the same goal. That is; Getting comfortable accommodation on top of a needle type hull. Would you agree with this comparison?

Harry Tams

14. Guest625101138

Harry
    Yes - that is the objective.

The other feature is that the side stabilisers are set to just skim the surface. From experience in swells with my V14 boat it is desirable to have the stabilisers extend aft to the line of the main hull to avoid flop-roll.

Keeping it narrower than a trimaran and with a reasonably high cabin line with batteries down in the main hull it can be made to be self-righting.

None of the flat panels that form the underside of the hull are very wide so the shape gives inherent stiffness. It does not need any more than a couple of bulkheads for framing. It is quite different to most hulls in this regard.

It is a grown up version of my V14 pedal boat fitted with a cabin.

I was not happy with the side windage of the boat above with my weight target. If it was built heavier than I was targeting it would not be as big an issue.

Rick W

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Opsanus tau ( toad fish )

[​IMG]

grows to about 18"
    eats anything it can fit down its throat
    lives in any available hole
    had poisonous spines similar to the tropical lionfish which it is closely related to
    but ugly
    smells bad
    and
    not worth eating

back to you Walter
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.