Coast guard certified Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Beezer, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

Looking for a completed boat for sale, or a partially completed project that might be able to get certification once finished. Looking for 36 minimum to 50 foot range (dreaming) maximum. I have been doing my homework on a planned build but if I can get into a boat that is completed for the right price, or a project with some man hours already completed that might have a better chance of keeping me married. I’m not into this for “the love of the build” it’s about getting a boat up and running charters as fast as possible without breaking the bank. Thanks!

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Certified for what use and area of operation?

4. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

Hi Bajan I had completely forgotten about that thread. The newick cat was a no go for me. Too much trouble to get certified and I was not ready for a new build project at that point. Kids were little and needed my time. I wound up with a monohull I bought for 1k which I’ve been successfully running 6 pack charters on after complete restoration. Did a full restoration on her. But I’m looking for the next challenge. Funny that the advice on that thread was a Kurt Hughes boat in a box and here I am again looking at that option. A sub 50k build would be fantastic. I’m looking bare bones here. No interior but the head. Twin 30 horse outboards. Zero electronics but a gps and required safety gear. I’m quite familiar with running the boats but the build thing is new.

5. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

Also I’ve looked at yacht world etc. nothing that appeals to me. My hope was that someone might be looking to hand off their dream.

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I think that building, or even restoring, a boat to do what you want to do, all for under $50k is VERY optimistic (if not downright impossible), even if you keep it bare bones.
    Although it sounds like you are just after a very simple power cat now - or do you want a sailing rig as well?
    I'll endorse Gonzo's question re 'Certified for what use and area of operation?'
    This will have an effect for sure.
    Will it still be just a 'Six pack'?

7. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

A quick build for that budget is possible, but you have to cut the right corners. For a person without previous builds under his skin this means either a flat panel boat, or a strip plank one. You need a "no lofting" design, everything has to come out of a CNC router (like jigs, bulkheads, backing plates, etc.). Sanding is a big part of building, so you need the electric fairing board and the big orbital sander. Epoxy comes by the barrel and premixed fairing compound in buckets, and don't be shy using it.
    If it's a sailboat you need the related hardware, buy the bare mast extrusion and rig it yourself with dyneema, the rest depends what's cheaper and quicker for you, having metal hardware fabricated, or making it yourself in composite. Sails, engines and equipement cost what they cost, no help there, but some things can be second hand.

8. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

I’m already running a 6 pack boat so would really like to bump up to a capacity of 25 to 35 passengers. I am doing well with the 6 pack and thought if just adding another boat and hiring a second captain but like the idea of expanding into something with a much bigger capacity. I’ve got a 100 ton ticket so that part is not an issue. I’m located in the midatlantic. The Hughes 36 or 42 are on my radar. If I build from scratch I will go with the 42 since I think there is a lot more boat there for not such a great time difference. If I go new build I will be interested in purchasing supplies that are left over from abandoned projects, if they come available.

9. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

Also - For the initial build I would stick to power charters, then build some additional cash for eventually adding mast and rigging. All in theory of course.

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Kurt Hughes has been doing this stuff forever, might be worth dropping him an email. My other thought is to contact Morelli and Melvin, they did a charter cat in female molds a few years ago. Something like that might get you sailing sooner assuming the tooling still exists.

11. Beezer

Beezer Junior Member

Thanks Corley, I have in fact reached out to Kurt Hughes. I love his designs and In a perfect world would build the 42. However I am exploring the idea of a conversion to Uscg certified for an existing used boat as it may be easier and less time consuming. There are a lot of cautionary tales from those amazing folks who actually finished new builds and so I don’t take those opinions lightly, but to be honest I was hoping a lot of the build time and headache was spent fitting out a pretty boat inside, as opposed to building a basic (to the extreme) working vessel. It’s hard to not employ wishful thinking!

bajansailor likes this.
  12. CerealPirate

CerealPirate Junior Member

I have to agree as well. I have been researching multihulls for close to a year and a motor cat will run closer to $100k and that is bare bones. The outboards alone will run $30 - $40k new and those aren't too of the line. You don't want to start a charter with crap motors ... Unless you have plenty of paddles 0_o

13. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I bought two 90s for about 17k, but all the other stuff adds up in a hurry..cables and steering and controls; I bet it'll be another 17k, but I am using actuators which are about 4k...so, engines are about 30k on the low end..a couple really good batteries are like 500$ :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.