Teak Restoration?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by thundercatsHO, Nov 21, 2012.

1. thundercatsHO

thundercatsHO Junior Member

How do you know if the teak is too far gone or if it is refinish-able? At the local marina there seems to be a couple schools of thought. One group says you want to let it get all grey and weathered looking and that the aged look is better as it takes time. And the other is that you want to take constant care of your teak and refinish it regularly. The teak rings in the cockpit sheet line holders on each side of my boat are pretty grey and warn.( see pic) Is that even worth messing with? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sure...grab your vibrator sander with 80 grit , give them a "light" sand...dont try to remove all the oxidized wood, just a light sand. Then clean with two part teak cleaner to remove any gray in the grain , then seal the wood with teak sealer. Semco or teak wonder. They will look brand new and the sealer will keep them new looking for a long time.

3. thundercatsHO

well sweet thanks dude!

4. michael pierzga

That little teak ring is expensive and time consuming to build. Take care of it and all exterior teak

5. thundercatsHO

One thing, will any wood restorer work or does it specifically have to be teak restorer. I see the actual teak stuff is pretty expensive. Probably going to varnish them.

6. michael pierzga

You can varnish. Very much work and high maintenance.

For teak you need not use wood restorer.

Aggressive soap like laundry detergent for the wash using a scotch brite pad or scrub brush, then wash with something acidic like oxalic acid or vinegar to neutralize the soap .

The prepacked teak cleaner work great. Teak Wonder is sold as a package...cleaner and sealer components.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well done Micheal -- Very experienced at cleaning boats, I think weve found something you can do

8. thundercatsHO

Well, I tested it out on one of the coaming rings. I am quite chuffed about how it turned out. I think it looks great, especially considering in how poor of condition it was. :)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.