CNC Plug/mold production time.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by masetto, Feb 4, 2017.

1. masetto

masetto New Member

How long does it take to produce either a cnc milled from foam and covered in epoxy paste plug and mold for an ocean going yacht of, lets say, 10 m LOA?

How long does it take for different phases of production?

I would be very gratefull if you could share an information about how many weeks/days does it take (on average).

What does the whole process of making CNC mold look like from your experience? What are the phases?

What is the current cost of square meter of finished mold (so he rate for whole production process from sending file to cnc up ready to production tooling) I heard of rate of 1000 EUR/m^2- what is your experience?

Lastly- what are the most important things for you when it comes to build a new mold. Cost? Production time? Any other factors? Which phase could be improved in your opinion?

Thanks for your answers ;)

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I have several customers that do this type of work, all I can say is that you would need to refine your wants and needs to a much greater degree before the any of these questions can be answered.

3. masetto

masetto New Member

I'm particurarly curious about the improvements that could be made in the process, what are the key aspects for the clients?

When you order a new mold what is more important: time of production, cost, dimensional stability etc.

@ondarvr I appreciate your interest in the topic, what additional information should I provide?

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If you were to ask one of the companies that does this work for an estimate, they would ask you a few hundred questions to get a good understanding of exactly what you want and expect.

Your question is like asking, how much does a car cost.

It's what's most important to you, is it price, handling, style, HP, number of passengers, color, mileage, etc, then your budget. There's a car for just about every want and need, but you need to define what that is before anyone can answer the question.

5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

1,855 pounds / sq meter from blueprint to finished mold was about the going rate around 2008-2010. Area includes all the fiddlybits & trim flange. So the number will be bigger than you think.

-jim lee

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I bet they will be 3d printing them soon.

7. susho

susho Composite builder

I can tell you a bit about the process:

when order is received from customer, first work is for the 3d modeler. He/she will start converting the files for further usage, depending on how the files where sent and what the customer needs. (when I did this I had customers sending me complete 3d files of boats, for me to create moulds from, Or send the desired surfaces finished)
    Then the frame is being modeled, and a stock block es being modeled around the surfaces of the desired shape. This is the styrofoam substructure. I tried to model within 10 cm+ of the original shape, in a way we could later build it out of standard sizes of the styrofoam blocks. max 1 angle in a piece. Then I would create working drawings for the stockblock, which was build in layers of 10 and 25 cm. And I would send the file of model and stockblock to the programmer, who would create a program.
    On the shop floor the carpenters would begin building the frame (1-2 days) and then the stockblock on that (1-3 days). it would then go in the mill for a night where the roughing is done, final shape minus 5-10 mm.
    Depending on customer specs then would follow a few layers of grp, or epoxy/glass, or epoxy/carbon, and then a epoxy or polyester paste(usually a day). Once hardened followed by the final milling (about half a day to 1,5 day) and some finishing and repairing by hand(1-2 days)

about a 1000 euro/m2 could be possible, on cheap (simple) shapes with cheap materials. I think during my time at a milling factory it was usually around 1200e /m2 for a 180 grit finish(ready for sealer or primer)

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Thanks for that explanation, wish I could see it happening in person. I am contemplating making the push to learn Rhino because I am struggling with this in my 2D.

My plan is to 2D cnc cut the frames and then make very thin flat panels of glass and just glue them to the frames. A quick fair job and bam, not too difficult and cheap ))

Either that or build a plug the same way and make a mold. For now I am getting the offsets for the entire length of the boat.

9. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member