Foot Controlled Trolling Motor Plans/Parts???

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by hdflame, Dec 24, 2009.

1. hdflame

hdflame New Member

I am wanting to build a Gator boat and use a trolling motor on the back for power. I have seen them mounted with a pulley on top of the shaft, with cables going up to foot controls so it can be guided hands free while fishing.

Has anyone done this or know of sites/plans/instructions/parts list that I can get ideas from?

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Like this?

s7_020380_imageset_01.jpg

Try here.

top_01.gif

Sure you can start taking sewing machines apart but you are going to have more money into a less suitable product than if you just Google it and start shopping.

3. hdflame

hdflame New Member

No, what I'm talking about is sitting low on the bottom of the boat (Chair mounted to bottom) with your legs extended down port and starboard side of livewell. A pedal on right side and a pedal on left side....press on right pedal to go right, press left pedal to go left. There would be a cable attached to each pedal running back to a pulley on top of the trolling motor shaft. You also mount a set of toggles or rocker switches for on/off, forward/reverse.

I've see one before made from a cheap straight shaft motor with the top handle/controls removed and the pulley attached to the top of the shaft. I have one like you posted the picture of, but it won't work for the application I want and would be too expensive to chop up for parts. I use it on a larger boat.

I thought if someone knew of a supplier of parts like foot pedals and pulleys, I wouldn't have to make or source them myself....didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone had already done it.:D

4. liki

liki Senior Member

There are trolling motors with an electric remote control which can be mounted on your rod.

5. Charles N

Charles N New Member

A few kayaks use that type of setup if you want to google kayak and electric motor I'm sure you'll get some ideas, alternatively the protroll might be an out of the box solution.
    www.procontroll.com/index.html

6. hdflame

hdflame New Member

7. hdflame

hdflame New Member

That looks like a possible solution. Not out yet, but supposed to be about $150 when it comes out in Jan 2010.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.