Clinker keel bolt replacement

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by paulmuzzer, Jun 14, 2007.

1. paulmuzzer

paulmuzzer New Member

Hi,

Please could someone help me out, i have recently bought an old clinker wooden lifeboat, i believe it was built in the 1930's ish. she was out of the water when i bought her and everything seemed to be fine. i have put her in the water now (mersey in Liverpool) about 5 weeks ago. she did take in water as she was out for 6 months which i expected.

Now i am haveing to go to her everyday to pump out the water that i coming in. i went last night to empty her and have a look to see if i could find out where the leak was. i eventually found that there is 2-3 keel bolts that are leaking and loose. what is the best method for replacing these bolts?

i have never done anything like this before so an idiots guide would be very helpfull indeed. i have got some pictures of my boat if anyone needs to see her but they are not of the keel bolts. if you want a pic to see before giving me advice then please let me know.

Kind regards

Paul Murray

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Paul - judging from her age - 70 years, it seems a fair bet the keel bolts are well past their 'sell by date'.
    You don't mention maker's name (if you know it) but it's a fair guess that the keel will be oak - meaning sea-water and oak 'acids' acting on the bolts (probably gunmetal or iron) will have given them a 'waist'. Raise the boat at least 1 metre (or a yard) off the ground (use blocks under the keel between the bolts). Ensure the boat is well shored (props all around so that she is steady when you move inside). Remove top nut (if possible. You may have to grind it down.) Then with a rift and hammer bang the bolt through to the ground. You'll then see what I mean by a 'waist' - the centre of the bolt will taper towards the centre.
    Use a round file to clean out the resultant hole (Or drill out fractionally 'oversize'. Fit new bolts (phosphor-bronze) to the diametre of the 'new' hole. Coat them well in grease and hammer home. (Use a piece of wood between new bolt head and hammer - to protect the threads). It'll be a sweaty job - but do-able.
    And don't worry about the leakage. Don't be tempted to give it a quick fix by squirting nasty commercial 'leak stoppers' between the planks.
    Clinker planking which has been allowed to dry leaks like buggery for quite a while - but it will 'swell' up. Good luck.

Aghhhhhh. Forgot to mention - remove and replace keel bolts one at a time - otherwise your deadwood will fall away and you'll really be in the 'sh*t'.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007