Roll over Rover.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by LP, Oct 5, 2005.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Ok, I'm posting because I'm bored. I rolled the current project over yesterday and spent most of the day preparing to epoxy fillet and glass sheath. It's an old Edwin Monk design that I've updated for epoxy strip building. I stretched it and given it a constant dead-rise hull. Now that it is rolled over it looks long and sleek. That is if frames and deck beams can look sleek. It's 18' long on a 5' beam. I start drooling when I think above getting it wet. Hoping for a spring launch.

I was thinking of naming it "Pocket Rocket" since it's a "woody", but the wife is red-faced over that one. A name like that might also be a challenge to all the Tom, Dick and Harry's of the water-world. Then I heard the song the other day with the lyrics, "I've got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling." which is of course making the same reference. So I was thinking "Jing-A-Ling" could be a good name with a slightly less blatant inference. I could go biblical and just name it Peter. :eek:

Anyway, this is the wooden boat building forum so here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Roll over Rover

Come off it LP. I thought better of you. Give her a bit of dignity. But if you must - why not play on your own name: Lear (Edward Lear - Owl and the ***** Cat.. a pea-green boat: Sweet Pea) - or Pilot, if you intend to wash your hands of a beauty like this with a cliched 'jingle' try: Pontius....
    Now, back to the drawing board :mad:

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Apologies, oh great and mighty guru-o-mine. Dignity, yes, but a quality that I lack. Yes, back to the drawing board.

Sweet Pea. Hmmmmmmmmm...........

It's got a bit of a Popeye-ish ring about it. Where's me spinach, matey? Perhaps we's could name her after a goil, like Olive Oil. :p :p :p

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

" Termite Loveboat " I thought that would look good on mine.

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Or something with a "down-under" flair.

Termite Vegemite

Bergalia will be calling me on this one. :D

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Roll over Rover

Thank goodness I didn't suggest a character from Shakespeare's 'King Lear' - Goneril, perhaps.....;)

I should explain to forum readers that 'Vegemite' is an Australian anti-fouling mixture... But frequently, and mistakenly eaten by the lower orders of Third World Countries - or where deprivation is widespread - America, for instance...:D :D :D :D :D

Your ball, I believe, LP

7. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Not to be confused with SPAM. I food that is attributed with single-handedly turning the tides of WWII. The Allied solder's fortitude was supplimented 15 million cans a week with this lightly salty and slightly squishy American delicacy. While now-a-days it is sliced thin and dried and bonded to rotting teak decks as an anti-skid surface and a structural enhancement for the rotted deck beams beneath.

You'll have to forgive me for not only do I lack dignity, it appears that I am lacking in verbal eloquence and studies in the classics.:(

When it come to names, Bill Lear (Learjet fame) takes the cake. He named his daughter Chrystal Shanda. :eek: (The spelling might not be accu rate.)

This thread has been up for two weeks. What took you so long? I threw the door wide open for comments hoping someone would take the bait. So. thanks for throwing me the bone.

I put up a gallery, too. Planning posting updates.

Oh, I do like the "King" part of it though.

How about KING SWIETENIA, or just SWEITENIA

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mahogany

P.S. The ball is backin your court.

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Roll over Rover

Ah...SPAM....Won't hear a word against it LP. Consumed, as you rightly say, in great quantities it made Britain what she is today....And led to such British scientific advances as the Teletubbies; The Yorkshire Ripper; Margaret Thatcher; Mad Cow Disease; The three cup bra; Tony Blair, and Marmite (a beefier forerunner of Vegemite)....Need I say more.....:D

PS - 'Swietenia' sounds a bit 'Russian' to me...would you know who or the Pentagon approve ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.