Climate Change is a Complex Subject, Not Just a Political Football

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

http://www.ww.globalwarming.org/

A groundbreaking new study has shown that climate change is the underlying cause of increasingly frequent and severe climate model failures. Researchers at Pennsylvania State Community College have discovered a critical link between atmospheric greenhouse gas concentration and general circulation model errors.

“Climate change has made it increasingly difficult to predict climate change,” says Dr. Manyard Michael, the lead scientist behind the study. “The current 16 year pause in global warming illustrates just how serious this situation has been; if not for climate change, we now know that we would have been able to accurately predict the current break in warming and clearly show that climate change is actually accelerating faster than forecast – not stopping as climate change is making it appear to those outside of the climate science community.” Dr. Michael also noted that they stumbled on this important finding almost by accident. “We just happened to notice that the higher carbon dioxide concentrations climbed, the more we had to adjust the data to get the results we knew to be right, and the more we adjusted the data, the bigger the error in the models. It’s a very strong positive feedback.”
    :D

2. Yobarnacle

Yes Co2 is a greenhouse gas. A weak one. And present in small amounts in atmosphere. 400 parts per million and only .4% of that is man made so less than 2 parts per million is mans contribution.

Climate sensitivity has been shown that CO2 levels and greenhouse effect are NOT linear. doubling CO2 does NOT double radiation retention. The more CO2 you have, the LESS effect it has on climate.

But how about this?

http://www.social-europe.eu/2013/01/antifragile-things-that-gain-from-disorder/

Antifragile: Things that Gain from Disorder
    03/01/2013 by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

'Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker.'
    'What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.'
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

Nietzsche also said "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm not sure why you're quoting Nietsche. If you're doing so to imply we should welcome climate change because dealing with its effects will make us stronger, I doubt that's what he was trying to say....

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The climatewarming.org site has the classic stench of astroturf about it. I have no doubt that if you trace its funding, you'll find someone like Exxon at the other end of it.

5. Yobarnacle

Its satire Troy. :D

6. Yobarnacle

my point is the same I made earlier. Or tried to. :)
    Climate is changing and always has.
    society changes.
    Technology changes.
    We adapt. We roll with the punches.
    We aren't that fragile. Neither is planet Earth.
    Everybody worried the BP oil spill would be disastrous for the gulf fisheries.
    The shrimp simply passed the oil through their digestive track.
    It didn't wipe them out as some fretted might happen.

I remember at the time, I assured folks the earth leaked MORE oil naturally through sea floor cracks than we extracted each year, and had been doing it since ever, and the ocean absorbed it.
    I just can't get steamed over dire predictions.
    I have heard TOO many.
    The boy who cried wolf syndrome. I don't believe the sky is falling.
    The rhetoric is TOO familiar. :D
    My advice is stop worrying. stress makes people sick.
    Just resist anyone suggesting kneejerk solutions. They're JERKS! :D

There are lots of smart people in the world and a lot fewer wise ones.
    i'm not saying I AM wise, but attaining wisdom has always been my ambition.
    Wisdom is like Good judgment. Learned from experience.
    That's why traditionally, old greybeards were respected for their wisdom.
    now I'm an old greybeard. I'd like to believe I acquired SOME wisdom in 65 years. :)

7. Yobarnacle

http://phys.org/news/2013-07-biologist-ecological-impacts-deepwater-horizon.html

http://www.livescience.com/5422-natural-oil-spills-surprising-amount-seeps-sea.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000127082228.htm

Earth Satellite Corporation scientists found that there are over 600 different areas where oil oozes from rocks underlying the Gulf of Mexico. The oil bubbles up from a cracks in ocean bottom sediments and spreads out with the wind to an to an area covering about 4 square miles.

"On water, oil has this wonderful property of spreading out really thin," said Mitchell. "A gallon of oil can spread over a square mile very quickly." So what ends up on the surface is an incredibly thin slick, impossible to see with the human eye and harmless to marine animals.

http://greenanswers.com/question/how-much-oil-naturally-seeps-through-ocean-floor/

Oil is actually a natural part of the ocean, despite what many people think. In the Gulf of Mexico alone, over 5000 barrels of oil seep from the ocean floor every day. This means that over two million barrels seep into the Gulf of Mexico every year. The Gulf is comparatively a very small to the total of all the oceans in the world, so the amount of oil that seeps naturally through the ocean floor is huge. The estimated natural oil seepage for just North America is over 43 million barrels per year.

Don't be an alarmist.
    relax.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The site it came from isnt....

9. Yobarnacle

So, if you don't like any site that disagrees with your views, how am I to post anything that agrees with ME? :)

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Post away. But I reserve the right to disagree with what you post... and I reserve the right to check out the links you post.

Globalwarming.org is a very well-done site; nothing amateurish about it. I checked into it a little; it's paid for and maintained by the Competitive Enterprise Institute. CEI is your typical conservative/liberatarian think tank, which wants to get rid of as much government regulation of business as possible, and lower taxes. All in the name of liberty, justice and the American way, of course... :)

Here's a thumbnail sketch of it, admittedly from a biased source.
    It seems to be a direct competitor of the Heartland Institute. In fact, this is what Wikipedia has to say about its funding:
    So apparently like the Heartland Institute, it started with big tobacco money and moved on to big oil money. It also lists the Koch Families Foundations as major donors; no surprise there.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I was just asking questions you didn't answer. All the things related to pollution are related to climate change. And you don't understand that.
    That's all. For you it seams pollution is just that: pollution, without any consequences. It is wrong to think like that.
    That was my point. Any article about pollution is about also climate change at the end.
    My money has nothing to do (by the way its also yours, it's call taxes in case you missed that)

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

An ice age can descend on civilization in less than a century so I must disagree with your phrase saying ". . .not for several centuries".

13. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

I know Yob eventually noted that the below quote was satire, but the website itself stated up-front that it was humor -- a section which Yob elected not to include. To wit:

[​IMG]

14. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Global Warming’s Six Americas in May 2011 | YALE SCHOOL OF FORESTRY & ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
    Download the PDF

Global Warming’s Six Americas in September 2012

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

No s..............t :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.