New Member Hello ! Questions on full keel Desighn

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Porter, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Porter

Porter New Member

New to the sight, and glad to have found it.. Hello to everyone here..
    I'm the owner of a 1971 Alberg 37' Mk1 in Marathon Florida, recently hauled out for some much needed repairs the usual thru hulls ect.. I also knew I had to finally attack my blistered hull... So I'm on the hard today cutting hundreds of little 12oz cloth circles to fill the blisters (a mundane task to say the least) and the boat lift picks up a 42 ft. Endeaver I'm guessing by the looks of it and sets her down next to me in the work yard. Soon enough a surveyor shows up and he's out with the Mallot tapp tapping away at the hull. Well being caught up in the spirit of things and needing a break from my blister repairs I too decide to get a small mallot and begin tapping my hull.. Everything sounding like a snare drum till I reached the the lower aft section of my keel wich gave way to a hollow thud.. this ocurred on both sides of the boat in the same section of hull.. I immediately thought delamination and images of the work load I would have to take on to repair it flashed thru my head. I decided better yet to go around the yard and tap on some other full keel boats before I got the grinder out. Funny enough a 32 ft Pearson also had a dull thud in the same area.. I knew Whitby Boat works made Pearsons as well as Albergs ect.. So the question is why is there a hollow section in my keel ??? Not only does it seem hollow the glass lay-up there as compared with the rest of the boat (allmost 1" 1/4 near the bilge) seems kinda thin .. I never noticed it before.. I know a bit about how my boat was constructed but not near enough it seems. If anyone could shed some light on the subject I'd be most intrested.. Much thanks...

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The differance in sounds from hitting is dependant on whats inside the boat and if there is a core or not !!, the part where the core is will have a completely differant sound to an area in the keel that has no core !! Also where glass overlaps have taken place and a thousand other reasons !!. Motor mounts , stringers , bulkheads ! places where other things are attached and theres extra glassing and so on and so on and so on !!/ :rolleyes::p:):D:p

3. Porter

Porter New Member

No core in the hull pure glass... nothing structural in the area either.. No I'm pretty sure this is a void.. You can tell where the lead is poured in and where it stops both vertically and lat.. I've done a lot of tapping.. this is an area about 1 1/2 ft up from the bottom of the keel and 8-10" forward of my gudgions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.