Spray Foam Question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DJS82, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DJS82

DJS82 New Member

I was hoping someone could refer me to a good quality 2 part closed cell spray foam company. Also, I will be applying this within the next week or two to a boat in New England. Is that even possible in a shop that is 55-60 degrees? Thanks in advance.

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Try Google or contact 3M, they might be helpful.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Instructional Videos I Spray Foam Kits I Versi-Foam Systems http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/video.php
    We have never used these (there are many other similar providers) but have heard good reviews of this type of system that comes with the tanks etc. Quite a few of the aluminum boat builders in the Pacific Northwest use spray foam but I believe that they just have a contractor come in and do the work.
    A good quality foam will have obviously porosity, ie the air cells , but not permeability, the ability of say water to move between the air cells, which then means it can absorb water
    ( a sponge has both)

You should try to ensure that you do not have to cut the foam after spraying unless you can apply a compatible coating to ensure that the out layers of the foam are sealed.
    High quality foams in the spec sheet might have an absorption specification something like ( and this is only an example, I did not bother to pull the exact nomenclature)
    A 1 foot cube of foam will absorb X pounds of water when immersed to such and such a depth over a period of Y hours

Also marine foam requires I believe a fire rating

There is a reasonably good chance that the spray foam used in home insulation might not meet the requirements

I checked the ABYC standards and though I know that I had read them before in their literature, I could not find the exact specs. Perhaps it was in a supplement that is on one of those
    5 year, one way, loan to a peer lending episodes.

I will look further and if I find something, I will repost.

If your supplier of spray foam that you choose, shows that the foam meets Coast Guard requirements, have them forward you the copy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.