Wire Mesh - feedback

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Fast_Eddie, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Fast_Eddie

Fast_Eddie New Member

I'd like to know if this a stupid idea or structurally viable. When building a large plywood and fibreglass catamaran, would adding a layer wire mesh increase it's tinsel strength? Imagine something like chicken wire but much thicker and more closely woven together. Fiberglass is ridgid and I don't know if it would help or hurt its strength. I'm thinking the layers would be : plywood, fiberglass, wire mesh, foam,fiberglass again. Please let me know what you think.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The more heterogeneous the materials, the worse the work in common will be.
    You will also have to think about a system that prevents the various components from separating

3. Fast_Eddie

Fast_Eddie New Member

Thank you for the reply. The layers would be bind together with the fiberglass resin. So the bond should be strong. The question is, will it be stronger or not. I'm not sure if the wire mesh will make it stronger.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not believe it but it is not about believing or not believing but about what material is more resistant and if the union between the different materials is strong enough, if the elongations that each one suffers when subjected to the different loads or temperatures are similar. In short, many factors difficult to evaluate.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Home brewed engineering studies, how quaint. Yeah a little coy, but you'd need to think about the physical properties of all the materials involved, before jumping to the assumptions you have. You's also need to finely specify the materials, such as the wire, it's alloy, weave type, maybe it's welded, grid size, wire diameter (yeah, it gets complicated, with this engineering crap, don't it).

On the quick side of the idea, it don't sound to have a whole lot of merit, if looking for the usual set of qualities we like to see in boat hulls, but hey, you never know, so work up a FEA and see if it's acceptable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.