Cleaning off the butyl tape

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Tungsten, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I vac bagged down a part onto a peelply surface.The tape has left a nice black line .Any idea on how to clean this off?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Toluene, dish detergent, xylene, mineral spirits and turpentine are the most common chemicals.

WD-40 does a fair job, though a combination seems to work best. Scrub the area with a degreaser, like dish detergent. Hit the stubborn areas with WD-40 and scrub again. If still having trouble, step up to mineral spirits and the harsher chemicals. The original version of "GoofOff" does a good job, which is a mixture of toluene/xylene and a few other things. Test the surface to see it it will tolerate these chemicals. The harshness list descends from: xylene, toluene, turpentine, mineral spirits, then WD-40 and detergent.

3. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

OK thx tried a small area with varsol worked well.I;ll let that dry then scrub with dish soap.My fear was that i would mess up the epoxy surface but i guess not.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most epoxies are very tolerate of chemicals, particularly if used and wiped clean.