Point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Kaptin-Jer, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Most of you know me from the other forums. I am sure that my problem has been discussed many times so I just need a guide to past threads.
    I am finally starting to work on my engine. A Perkins 4.108. I am not a mechanic!! Not bad with Awl Grip and varnish, but engines are another world to me. I have 0 money, so I have to learn as I go. The engine was under water 4 years ago. The salvage guys pulled it out of the boat and got it running then placed it back inside. Not installed, just placed, I had to bolt it to the mounts. For the first two years I would put a crow bar on the fly wheel and keep it moving. This last year I wasn't able to do that and it is frozen, hard! I took off the injectors and put as much WD40 as I could get into the cylinder heads. (a full can) now I'm going to wait until next week-end to see if I can break it loose. Any other home remedies or past threads would be helpful, because once I get it moving again I have to Install it. All the elecrtical work, hoses, exauhast has to be done - by me, and right now all the "stuff" laying all over the stern compartment is just that, stuff. Thanks guys.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Have you got oil in the engine sump and gearbox?

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

There doesn't appear to be. The dip stick was "frozen" and took some persuasion to get out. It was dry.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Then lift out the engine & gearbox, as you may need to rebuild or replace. I would not trust that engine if you are going cruising...

The only way to be sure... buy a workshop manual, carefully dis-assemble the engine (put the parts, from the head in a separate box, from the gearbox, from the sump, from the ... etc), so you know where the bits came from & less likely to loose them... Clean and refurbish and reassemble and test... If PERFECT, then return to boat - else sell and buy a new engine...

Check with Frosty, he is an engineer of vast experience...

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I was really hoping not to get that reply, but kind of expecting it. Rebuilding a motor is way past my level of warm and fuzzy. I guess I'll let it sit until I can afford to have it done correctly.
    Maybe someone in my area can suggest an honest mechanic and let me know approx. how much money I'll have to save.
    Thanks

6. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

It's really not that hard to rebuild an engine- if you can read a manual then you can rebuild an engine. I suggest getting in the books and you'll find yourself becoming more confident. Chances are, if it ran before, it's just gunked up inside, necessitating a little cleaning. You may need to run some kerosene (or diesel) through the block to loosen up the gunked up oil. Once you got it freed up, then drain the kero or deisel, and fill her up w/ oil. Disconnect the fuel line and run her through about 100 revolutions over a few minutes time so as not to burn out the starter. That is to get out the kero or deisel you used from all the bearings. Changed the oil again, and then re-fill it. Start it and check the water temp to make sure she's not overheating due to friction (deisel still i nthe bearings) if not you should be good!

1 person likes this.
  7. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks mongo, That was nearing the edge of my competence :D (Rep points awarded to show my gratitude)...

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Laptin_Jer,

Sadly, I think you may have left her for too long. The injectors and the pump will be rooted for sure, they have very fin tolerances and are highly (were anyhow) polished.

The 4-108 is a very old engine now, it is a good model, but expensive to get parts for. The last one I was involved with (6 months ago) cost over $2000 just in parts, you will be up for that much at least.

As others have said, they are very easy engines to rip apart, just make sure you do it methodically, us the digital camers if you have to, and keep every section separate from each other, such as head parts, injection parts, manifolds etc etc. Each injector should go back into its own hole too if possible. I cannot see it being worthwile if it was submerged so long ago, shoot it and get another.

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Sadly we have to at least attempt to follow Mongo's lead. If I can break her free I'll spend the time re building it. There are quite a few old 4.108's around here, and I do have a manual. I'll do my best. The worse that can happen is I get it all torn down and can't get it back together. That's when I hire a mechanic. It should only cost 1/2 then.:rolleyes:

10. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

And if you get it freed up and running you spent what, $100 in fluids, saving several hundred if not 1 or 2 thousand in rebuilding cost. Good luck!

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Isn't boating fun??

Thanks
    By the way you were asking about my roll and tip--Pics taken last week

Attached Files:

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Kaptin-Jer,
    Well done, I guess you will not need a signalling mirror, of one to shave by, just some salt soap:D:D:D:D:D & jump in the ocean next to "WestWind"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.