Aaaahhh!

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by nukisen, Apr 1, 2010.

1. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Hahaha!

Hello everybody!

Can anyone explain for me why class societies uses the same scale for their modules as the kategory of ce marking.

For an example!
    The Kategories are between D to A.
    At the same time the societies uses a scale between A to G.

Wouldnt it be very much easier to separate these modules from kategories by using Modules started from E to necessary upper value.

Then you could automatic see when the letter stands for Kategory or the soc.module.

Maybe I am out for sailing without a boat or am I correct?
    Confused!
    :D

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

All industries and scientific disciplines have some degree of "nomenclature overlap". Eventually you just get used to it, writing in such a way as to be clear what you're referring to and reading in such a way that the context tells you what's being talked about.

As a physicist, if I see "π" (pi), it could mean 3.142, a half-circle, any of three light mesons, or a tasty dessert. Or, if I see "k", it could mean the Coulomb force constant, the Boltzmann constant, any of several chemical reaction rate constants.... you get the picture. Context usually tells all.

3. offshore coders

offshore coders New Member

4. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Marshmat!
    I guess you are right even if I don´t want to admit it. hehe :)

5. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

Aaaaagh ?

No the scantling rules are all really clear precise intuitive and simple and the use of the scale is no different to any other part of such a rule:

Take the integral of the characteristic heave equation using the assigned letter as the variable, substitute the 2nd differential of the energy velocity function assigned as the second letter usually G and then solve for a maxima closest to the largest complex root. If this is larger than 7 then use the fist scale, otherwise use the second.

At least I’m sure that’s what they told us at uni.:)

6. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Thanks for you oppinion!
    Guys!
    Also of course the scales would be very confusing if they did change them by now. As all involved parts already does have insight of the usage of the scales.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.