Classic wooden boat scantling

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by DUCRUY Jacques, Feb 3, 2010.

1. DUCRUY Jacques

DUCRUY Jacques Junior Member

Hello,

I have a little question about the scantling of the classic wooden boat : why, if I compare with ISO 12215 rules, the planking is too thick ... and the frame too weak ?

This is maybe a stupid question, but ...

Thank you by advance

Jacques

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What are you comparing? Classic may mean anything. Is it a workboat or a yacht?

3. DUCRUY Jacques

My question concern sailing yacht only.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There were and are many acceptable scantling rules. If it is a classic, that is fairly old, boat and is still floating, the scantlings are fine. There are many approaches and rules which sometimes contradict each other. The best is to use a single system.

5. DUCRUY Jacques

Thank you : I know the rule of Nevin, very simple to use.

If I take a boat with a deplacement of 288 cube foot, Nevin give a planking of 1" thick, frame of 1.69" by 1.69" (so SM = 0.80) for a space of 9.49".

If I use the rule ISO, it seems to me that the planking is inferior ... and the SM of frame superior !

In fact, my question is : why the classic wooden construction cannot is treated by the modern rules of scantling, as ISO ?

Best Regards

Jacques

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You have to remember that the Nevin scantling is for first class wood which is rarely found now, and for extremely skilled boatbuilder to use.
    It is not a rule to take without knowing your wood like a professional.

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.