flat bottom skiff comparison

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by belwood, Nov 5, 2013.

1. belwood

belwood New Member

I was looking at Par's Digger 17 skiff. It sure looks like a very pretty boat.
    How would it compare in performance with Old Wharf's lumberyard skiff...would it pound more or less...be better in following waves:?: Also from a construction point of view is it a difficult build?
    I am currently finishing up (painting) a stitch and glue GF16 by Bateau so I have some experience.
    I made a similar post over on Wooden boat forum but I think it got lost in cyberspace somewhere.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

It would be easier to contact me by email (click on my name). I saw you post in the comments area on WoodenBoat Design Directory, but now you're here, so . ..

The light version of Digger would be similar in the weight of the 16' Old Wharf's Lumberyard Skiff, though the Lumber Yard Skiff would be a foot shorter for the same weight. Both the light and heavy duty version of Digger would have a thicker bottom (1" and 1.5" respectively), making for a much more comfortable ride in a boat like this. In general, Digger would be a stiffer boat for it's length comparatively. They would both perform similarly, as they're both shaped similarly, though the heavier bottom (again) on Digger, will make her feel more solid. Digger is a bit more refined, but many like the simple aspects of the Lumber Yard Skiff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.