Classic design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by aitchem, Sep 10, 2003.

1. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

Hi all,
    Just found this place.!

I have been toying with the idea of a small yacht to sail in the bay when its nice and breezy and sunny ( not often in Scotland.!).

I tried to buy a plastic boat, but the cheque book won't open when crunch time comes.!

My idea is to build a small strip planked yacht , say 3 metres long.

Are there plans around for those beautiful timber yachts built in the 1920-30's.?

This is something I found on a German site. It looks about right.

best regards

aitch

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The plans are plentiful. However, building a new boat will cost you much more than buying a used one in good shape.

3. aitchem

aitchem Junior Member

It's not the cost, it's the challenge and satisfaction I am after.
    I don't want a plastic boat.

I can't find plans for what I am seeking, there are lots of sites with awful looking boats all over the place, like Selway Fisher and that kind of DIY junk.

I will try the attachment again.!

Attached Files:

• 006b.jpg
      006b.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I see you are looking for a Sonder boat. WoodenBoat magazine had an article on them some years back. I don't know if they published any lines. Your attachment shows enough lines to draft and loft a set of lines. I agree that sailing a boat like that brings a degree of satisfaction worth the effort of building one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.