Classic boats: how to design the sail plan?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Gades, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi there,

I've been reading a couple of issues of a magazine called Classic Boat. They've got lots of information about different boats, including the lines plans and many pictures. But, I haven't seen any information about their sail plans. I've read different design books, but they always talk about "normal" sail plans. Sometimes they mention the different types, but not how to design them.

Anyone knows where to find this sort of information?

Thanks

2. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Fernando

Check some of the "older" litterature.
    I haven't check them per se about this but I'd guess there's plenty info in here:

Skenes elements of yacht design.
    Yacht Designing and Planning: For Yachtsmen, Students, and Amateurs
    by Howard I. Chapelle.

Some basic rig, sailplan stuff here: Understanding Boat Design by Ted Brewer

Erik

3. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Thanks Eirk,
    I'll see which one I find at the shops. I just don't want to buy more books before I know they're the ones I should ;) (I think I might need to upgrade to a bigger book shelf soon :D )

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

You may wish to look at John Leather's book "The Gaff Rig Handbook" subtitled "History - Design - Techniques - Developments". He discusses rigs, scantlings, arrangements, standing & running rigging for gaff sloops, cutters, schooners, yawls, ketches, and a mind-boggling amount of other stuff. A very good book. (WoodenBoat Books, Brooklin, Maine, USA www.woodenboat.com )

5. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Thanks mmd,

yesterday I saw this book at Amazon, although it takes a couple of weeks to ship. At least here in the UK; I think it was 24 hours delivery in the States.

So, in this book, the author does talk about the design of the rig itself. What shapes you choose, why, how they work and so on.
    If so, I guess that's what I'm looking for.

thanks

6. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Fernando

If you want rig design information/scantlings etc I would try

"The Complete Rigger's Apprentice: Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging " and /or "The Rigging Handbook" (2 of his books in one) both by Brion Toss
    both available at Amazon.co.uk

http://www.briantoss.com

I have one of these (can't remember which one) and an earlier one, he goes into great detail about rig design both modern and traditional.

Cheers

Paul

7. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi Paul,

thanks for those two titles!

I know how to calculate most of the loads in the sails; and how to design a "normal" (let's say the usual sloop yacht) sail plan. I've calculated all the tensions, comprensions, etc... in a 40 and 45 footer. Plus some of the loads in a 32 meters.

But, I'd like to know how to design a nice looking boat, like a Classic one. That's why I was asking for the books; because usually you don't find this kind of information in most of the design books, nor in the magazines.

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.