Classic Boat Suggestions

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by JWBlazek, Mar 12, 2003.

1. JWBlazek

JWBlazek New Member

Doing some reasearch and looking for recommendations before digging in on my first boat building project. I want to construct a classic mahogany Chris Craft /Hacker or Garwood style, 20 - 23 footer, double cockpit, over a framework of oak covered with thin cold formed ply. and then 1/2 - 3/4 inch mahogany planking. Power plant would be a modern V6 or V8. Have surfed the web and have numerous potential suppliers of plans. Loking for cons/pros/comments or recommendations.

Thanks !
    john

2. kit

kit Junior Member

Hi there i just read your thread, im also looking at building a retro classic runabout. What luck have you had finding plans etc??

3. JWBlazek

JWBlazek New Member

No,I have not had any luck in finding any plans that I have found interetsing yet

4. kit

kit Junior Member

Ive found these authentic classic boats that you can buy the plans/cd cut file and take it to a boat yard or cabinet maker and put the cd into there cnc router and it will cut it out like a kitset. Hope this is some help.
    Keep in touch with your progress.
    Im just finishing the complete restoration of a 1973 Hamilton Jet 53 (a NZ built jetboat) then ill start looking at building a retro styled classic boat.

www.classicwoodenboatplans.com

Cheers Kit

5. Dave Hawley

Dave Hawley Junior Member

J.W.B. Please Mate do lots and lots of research and thinking before undertaking such an important job. I've seen "A YEAR OFF" take just a little longer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.