Classic Boat Designs - Rudder and Gaff Rig Questions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by photjoe, Feb 14, 2005.

1. photjoe

photjoe New Member

I was hoping someone familiar with classical designs could help.

I'm baseing a design on a French Cutter, but due to the nature of the design the rudder is pitched. I was wondering how that effect helm balance and area. Is there any rule to follow for a well balanced helm or formula I can use to figure out how much rudder area is needed for this full keel design?

Also what's the best Sail Area to Displacement for a gaff rig? The best compromise between speed and safety. Any tips for lead for the rig from the CLR and COE?

Thanks,

Joe

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I would reccommend you pick up a copy of Howard Chapelle's "Yacht Designing and Planning". It addresses most of the questions you have raised, and a lot more. Well worth the investment, even if you design only one boat.

3. photjoe

photjoe New Member

Got Chapelle's, but I was looking for hints and tips. Comparing some of the full keels of today to the past golden age, the rudder areas are considerable larger on modern hulls.

I also have Skene's Elements of Design, but it seem the actual formula for determining Sailboat Rudder area is missing from the book.

Joe

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.