clasic glass hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bud, Aug 17, 2003.

1. bud

bud Junior Member

hello! i have an older clasic glass hull that im considering repowering..... she is a 1959 20" skagit . im also considering changing her apearance by remouving the top half and finishing her off like a runabout rather than a small cruiser....any ideas or help would be of great value to me the hull has I/O power at the moment am considering a V6 for power with a more modern leg.i am also hoping that someone could give me an idea of the top speeds i might be able to attain with this hull . look forward to hearing from someone...... regards Marc

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is it powered with VolvoPenta? If it has a four cylinder, a six should fit. I looks like you are taking weight off also. Those older boats were usually overbuilt so a bit more power should be OK. It is easier to guesstimate a speed with the total weight of the boat. One way to get it, is to go to a truck stop and weigh the trailer with and without the boat. Those scales are very accurate.

3. bud

bud Junior Member

overbuilt is all of an understatement, shes a heavy hull....and yes she has a 4cyl volvopenta.but the reason i want to instale a new leg and engine is the model for the volvo and leg is AQ100 ive been told this was the first model volvopenta sold in canada perhaps north america truly vintage equipment that is completely obsolete cant find parts or pieces and also the leg isnt trimable,at the moment this hull tends to dolphin some although in all fairness i have to admit that the trim tabs, older electric wormscrew types dont function

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You have the original outdrive. That's where it all started:) You'll have to do some modifications to the transom and make pads for the engine mounts. It should fit OK though.

5. bud

bud Junior Member

a couple more ? i have are as follows considering that the aft end of the hull is almost completely flat im probably not looking at more than about 2/3 degrees of dead rise and the best i can describe them is like 2 strakes on each side , ending in a hard chine, should i be perhaps considering a straight or vdrive instead of a leg i want to get this thing right the first time. yesterday i said that at the moment she dolphins i believe the corect term is porpoises the front dips down making the hull somewhat unmanagable untill i find a corect speed for the planing angle.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The porpoising is one of the problems that a trimmable drive can correct. Also the top speed may increase because the shaft angle is optimum. Have you found a repower package? I may have something that suits you.

7. bud

bud Junior Member

hello ... no i havent found a power package as of yet im just searching at the moment.....considering its only a semi displacement hull it will be a bit of a rough ride compared to a traditional modern vee hull with 12 + degrees of deadrise and im also told through reseach that she was originally outfited for an outboard and converted at the skagit boat works to I/O .as far as power i was considering a V6 with something along the size of an alpha leg, if a straight drive would perhaps be better i have a borg warner and a cassal available to me, and i am most certainly very interested in what you would recomend .
    regards Marc

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If the boat was designed for an outboard and later fitted with a sterndrive, it won't work with a straight inboard. The center of flotation is well aft, so an inboard will make the boat bow heavy. An option, if you have enough headroom is a vee-drive. However, that's another transmission to maintain and repair, and two shafts to align. I am in Milwaukee, so shipping stuff may be expensive. If you can't find anything locally it is another option though.

9. bud

bud Junior Member

i will have tons of head room as im taking the whole top right off of the hull.... im going to split the top off along the upper half of the rub rail mnt and replace the whole top with wood, my own idea..... certainly not efitient or perhaps smart but i think will be a unique finished look the only thing i will use of the top portion is the windscreen wich is tempered curved glass the inside will be gutted and refit and re upolstered taking into considerations the style and age of the boat, im also told by some that this isnt a new idea and is being done in europe... a blending of old and new. also will use all the original bright works lights, cleats,fuel bungs,etc etc.also did a small post in the wood portion of this forum hoping to get some ideas and help as well and offered to post pics of before and after, hope i can generate some interested people

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As long as you are happy with the boat, everything is OK. After all, if you were sane, you'd be investing that cash in Wall Street. Welcome to the loonie forum.

11. bud

bud Junior Member

funny you metion insanity..... my wife shakes her head everytime i mention the hull....:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.