Is this boat a Donzi?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by kevinallison, Oct 13, 2016.

1. kevinallison

kevinallison New Member

Just wanting to know if anyone knows what make and model this boat is.
    It has Donzi painted on the side, and looking at all Donzi's over the years I cannot find anything similar to this.
    Its registered as a USA Donzi, here in Australia. Cannot find a hull stamp anywhere.
    Its roughly 19 - 20Feet (6m) long.

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yes, it was a Donzi hull, and they were made in Melbourne, (late 70's maybe) the only ones I saw were sterndrives and centre console. I very much doubt that cabin was original to the boat, I think the same hull featured more recently on a boat labelled a Formula F21, not sure if they are still being made though. 19* Vee from memory.

3. kevinallison

kevinallison New Member

Great, yes I think it is an 1980. The Formula f21 hull does look the same.
    Transom may have been redone as it is hardwood not ply. So it looks like it has had some transformations over its life.

Thank you !

4. Mr Efficiency

Good hull, I reckon the droopy nose would have doomed it with Australian buyers back in the day, with an entrenched horror of taking water over the bows, prominent in the minds of buyers. Especially in the centre console configuration. Not a concern in practical use, I'd say.

5. larslindroth

larslindroth New Member

The classic 19' 2 1/2" by 7' 10" Donzi race hull.

The 19' Donzi was built as 3 models from 1964-1976. Hornet Bench Seat, Hornet 2+3 and the St. Tropez cc. which is most likely the one you Aussies splashed. Great offshore hull and with it's flared bow actually a pretty dry ride. Check the link for more info on the models(specs, numbers produced and what years). Congrats to a great find. Hard to find a v-hull in it's size that rides better in the rough.
    http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/sttropez.asp

[​IMG]

6. kevinallison

kevinallison New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Its definitely a heavy boat. The stringers are very well glassed! Im now looking for a Pod/motor bracket. Apparently the guys in Australia perfected one for this hull. Making it a 21" however the company Formula Boats Australia's (Adrian Clancy) doesn't seem to be around anymore. The boat has a horrible lean to port as soon as you get some speed going. Pulls that hard that the transom starts touching the water. Speeds just on the plain seem to be ok. Im thinking its the custom swimming platforms someone has added, they are mounted under the hull chines on either side. So removing them and adding the POD will hopefully resolve this issue. Other than that the boat seems like a good buy. Its been neglected a bit, so a full restoration is gonna happen this winter.

7. Mr Efficiency

I'm not sure what is causing your problems there at all. What do you mean, "the transom starts touching the water " ?

8. kevinallison

kevinallison New Member

I mean the lean to Port side is that bad that the top of the transom almost touches the water.

9. Mr Efficiency

Propellor torque can cause a lean to port, strong side winds a lean either way depending on wind direction, a combination of both will make it worse. But if this is happening in a situation without wind being a factor, it is hard to imagine it being torque alone. Are trim tabs fitted ? Is the swim platform clear of the water underway ? No way this is an inherent hull design issue, imo, although this particular boat features a cabin structure that will make it prone to cross-wind lean, and wasn't part of the original conception.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.