Chugger Boat Design, I have some ideas and questions...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bike and a boat, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Bike and a boat

Bike and a boat Junior Member

This is my very first thread here, please be kind! I stumbled across Steve Lewis Chugger design late last year and after much pondering, I have decided to build one! I suspect these words have been uttered before, but having built a few other boats, I suspect I will get this one done as well. I have some constraints regarding building and I hope that I have come up with some solutions but I figured I could throw the ideas out here and see what happens!

A little background first. I live one block away from Lake Michigan in Chicago. You know, Chicago, highly populated, no room, THAT Chicago! I also live two miles away from the Chicago River as well. I have a shop space close to that river and a public boat launch someone was nice to put in.

Wait, there's more....I do not own a car or a truck or anything that requires a driver's license. I do, however own bicycles. A lot of them. One with a motor on it, as a matter of fact. I also have a business that makes cargo trailers that can be towed behind bicycles.

I can see that some of you are ahead of me here, but here are my thoughts anyways.

I am pondering building the 16 foot Chugger design with a box like well on each side of the boat, about five feet long, ten inches wide, and about 12 inches tall. This "well" if you will, will have tandem bike wheels inside of it, and some provision for floatation as well. It will have an undercarriage that attaches to the bottom of the boat, and to the sides. This will be permanant. A removable tow bar will be on the front, and my aforementioned bicycle with the motor will pull the boat/trailer to the water!

My question is, will the additional beam amidships (adding roughly 1.5 feet for a total of 5.5 feet of beam) adversely affect the boat in the water?

I also have in mind to make the back four feet of the cabin a pop top for camping as I am, ummmmm, kinda tall!

Thank you in advance for your input!

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Your "wells" will create a tremendous amount of drag...much more than simply mounting the wheels outside and leaving them there. If you use big enough wheels to have the hub above the waterline so the bearings can remain unsubmerged then that should be sufficient. If you make "skirts" for the wheels you can support the axle on both sides...it will look like a side wheeler. As to the beam...that one has already been addressed here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/another-chugger-hits-water-41696.html and his is 6 ft wide. You will have no problems with 5 1/2 ft...except getting it together. Make sure you go to his photo pages (listed in the thread further down) to see how he solved all of his problems. You won't want to build it as heavy as he did obviously seeing as you are towing it with a bike. I hope you don't have hills where you need to go... it should be fine on level ground but hauling it up a hill or trying to control it going down a hill may be problematical to say the least.

3. Bike and a boat

Thanks so much for the input, your use of the words "side wheeler" do more justice than mine. I am contemplating quick release wheels so once in the water, drag becomes less of an issue. The fronts and backs of these wells will become a right triangle with the 90 degree portion against the hull to hopefully promote less drag!

4. Bike and a boat

and to answer your question about hills....none here thank God!

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I think I get what you are about but I expect the points of those triangles will still act like scoops or brakes. They will also throw out quite a spray sideways. If the boat heals they will act like a scoop on that side and try to turn the boat that way...rather quickly and forcefully too... like sticking a paddle in the water to brake turn a canoe.

6. Bike and a boat

Suddenly from the very far left corner of my brain came the idea of outriggers! I may need some sleep here before I give that any real consideration!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.