Building motor bed, alternatives to plastic

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Runhammar, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Runhammar

Runhammar Junior Member

Hi all
    As I wrote in an earlier post I am building a motor bed this summer. I am now curious if there are alternatives to lamination.
    Is it doable to make a structure all steel instead of laminating? I am thinking two strips of steel plate to take the screws from the engine, two similar strips laminated to the hull, and then a system of strips or sturdy pipes between them to make the construction rigid. My engine weighs 200 pounds and the bed will only be about two inches high in the back and perhaps ten inches high in the forward end. A steel structure could even be put together with nuts and bolts instead of welding, and the whole damned thing could be taken apart (when the motor is lifted out) and removed for cleaning and repainting, or in order to gain access to the area. I have access to all kinds of shapes of steel: tubes, rod, L-shape etc. I have access to lathe, and a pretty precise steel cutter. I have friends that weld if need be.
    It's just a thought. In the wooden boats in my club many have variations of this bolted to the wood in the hull. As to the advantages compared to laminating a solid structure. I don't know. I hope to have a discussion on the doability for its own sake. Oh, and don't ask for pictures. There are none. It's all in my head. Just imagine an empty hull, slightly v-shaped, with a propeller shaft sticking into it. And a diesel engine.
    Kindly
    Runhammar

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is this a wooden hull?

3. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

"alternatives to plastic?"

Wood

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

BlueBell likes this.

5. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

So sorry to ask, but pictures of what's outside your head would be helpful. You know, reality. It would be very helpful in order to help you. But you would have to take some, are you willing?

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.