Sea Skimmer - Fiberglassing Foam Hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by limitedreality, Jul 14, 2009.

1. limitedreality

limitedreality New Member

Hello,

I'm being given a Castlecraft Sea Skimmer that needs it's hull fiberglassed.

http://www.castlecraft.com/sea_skimmer.htm

Their website says that it can be done over the foam, and I've found a few people on this forum saying they were going to do it, but not really found anything saying that anyone has completed the project. So I figured I'd ask. Anyone finished one? Have pictures or suggestions as to how to do it?

I've worked with fiberglass with audio enclosures in the past but I'm not finding too much information online regarding how many plys one should use for this type of project? Whether mat or cloth would be better suited?

I've never done anything to this scale so my other concern is how much weight 12ft. of fiberglass is going to add to the boats weight considering it's limited weight capacity to begin with.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

3. bigdawg10132009

bigdawg10132009 Junior Member

chopped mat is used for appearance and woven cloth is for strength....