Chris Craft 1968 Grand Prix 17ft restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by linser, Sep 3, 2006.

1. linser

linser New Member

I recently purchased my new boat from a friend of my dad ,, anyway,, it is a 1968 chris craft grand prix, It's 17 fet long. Right now i'm in the midle of the proses of restoring it,, it was in a not to good condition.. I have come along some problems that i would love to get som help solving.
    But first a lit e hint of what i have done so far..:

i started by removing the engine and all the interior. Then i started sanding the boat at the inside, and replacing and fixing all the wod that was brokend.
    After this i ppainted the boat 15 times,, yepp right,, FIFTEN times. I did this because then the surface would be waterproof.
    Now was the time to start outside the boat. i sanded the botom down,, sparkeled it and got a local boat bulder company fix the botom so that i would have Epoxy and fiberglas under the waterline of the boat,, to prevent water coming through the hull and in to the boat,, and to make it stronger.
    I sanded the hull and deck. I replased the white stripes on the deck. i dont know the english word for it,,but i mean the stries in the front and pack of the boat,,, that is between each plank,,,,, on the deck.i did not ure "sikaflex" but i went for Epoxy and whita pasta to get white stripes.
    After finishing with this i started on the hull... i sanded it with 36 ,40,60,80,10,120,150,180 and 240. i then used something called "pasta Mogano", a collor to paint the boat with before starting to layer it with varnish.This to get the same color on the whole boat,,, even after the Magogany has been in the sun for a while,, it still has the same collor.
    I am now finish paiting 35 layers og 2 component poliurethanic varnish from Stopani number 910 . the boat varnish is now going to harden 1 month before
    i spraypaint the 3 finished layers og a varnish that is much harder and more shiny,, end even got a good uv protection it it.

And now the problem, i'm now starting to think about the interiour,and the instruments. The think is that i i can't seem to fone not even ONE collor picture of my boat on the net,,, i only find 1 black and white photograph.i realy need some pictures og that boat on collors, so i can get an idea of what collor i should choose for the interiour. The current collor is red, and some lighter red, but it has been werry bleched in the sun after 40 years, so i realy don't want the red collor again. do anyone have some pictures or can give me some hint's of what i should choose?
    On beforhand ThX
    Kjell Hugo
    Norway

Ps, sorry for my bad English

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Gorgeous boat, Kjell. It looks like you've been very meticulous with the varnish work.
    If you don't like the red leather colour scheme, another option that would be appropriate to that era (although not necessarily factory-stock on that particular boat) would be something between a sea-green and a teal colour. Medium blue upholstery would also work and would match your hull's bottom colour too.
    If you want the true vintage look on the instrument panel too, look for dials with heavy chrome work, and chromed push-pull knob switches. I'm not sure what was stock on your boat, but it's neat to have it look '60s if you can. If you've put a more modern engine in it, you might want to use the modern gauges, but you could chrome-plate the bezels and trim for the '60s look.

3. linser

linser New Member

Thx for quick reply

I have seen otherboat's with the green collor thet you speak of, and i 'm nott convinced that it's the right collor for me. A friend om mine Imports Glastron Boats here, and one moddel inspired me to mabye trye to make something different. i was mabye thinking of using (all leather of course)white, and light grey as a baisis collour. and mabye the edge and smal details can be in yellow. think this: the sofa that you are sitting in is mate og white and light gray. and in the back(the part you are leaning you back to have ah 1 cm whide line that is horizontal,, like a wawe that just creates a simple but efective collor effect... cinda hard to explai,,, i'm gonna draw a draft so you guys can se what i had in mind,,,,,